Doesn't go potty after food water! Keep waiting? (moved) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doesn't go potty after food water! Keep waiting? (moved)

König is 8 1/2 weeks. Im using the bell method to housebreak him. I read everywhere that puppies will go pee or poo 5-30minutes after eating or drinking water. Im beginning to call BS on this.

I'm controlling his food and water for the purpose of potty training. This is what I do:
-I give him food or water
-Play with him for about 5-10 minutes
-Put him in the crate. Wait an hour (was doing 20 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 40 minutes..but he wont go pee!)
-Take him out, engage him for about 5 minutes
-Take him to the door, ring the bell, treat, leash to the potty area and say "potty"
-My question starts here. When he actually has to go, he is beginning to know that this is his spot. So when he DOES have to go, he will go IMMEDIATELY. As soon as we get to his spot, its go time, he sniffs, then BAM goes potty.
-Now when he DOESN'T have to go, he goes to the potty area and tries to leave the potty area. I try not to tug on the leash just yet so instead I block him so he can't leave, then he just starts to whine and cry. I dont give in and keep blocking. Then he just lays down and doesnt potty. He'll even go to sleep right there in the potty area. Im worried he'll start associating the potty area with me trapping him there and not letting him leave, making it a negative place to be.
-Now EVERYWHERE I've read.. says to wait til he goes.. no matter what. Just keep waiting. But c'mon.. if hes laying down and going to sleep... Im pretty sure he doesn't need to go. I feel like everytime I take him to his potty area and he DOESN'T go.. im going backwards in training. As if its taking longer for him to associate the bell, and going outside with "I'm going potty"
-He also does NOT go poo after each meal. So far he has only gone twice a day. Once after breakfast, doesnt poo after lunch, then poos after dinner. I'm feeding him Nature's Domain. Half cup each serving.

So should I take him out in longer increments? I thought it would be BETTER to be CERTAIN he is going to pee or poo. I dont want to keep crating him but it's very tiring to have to follow him around the house 24/7 because he hasnt pooped or pee'd yet and I'm worried he might have an accident.. Which would just set back training even more.

Please! Suggestions, input, articles, links, comments, corrections, hints, tips, cheat codes, prayers, test answers. Anything!
GRANBYsyztem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

lol. I don't know what to say but I had to laugh.

From my limited experience: If he doesn't need to go, bring him back in and let him sleep inside? Atleast he doesnt need to poo or pee while he is sleeping. I remember ours used to sleep a lot which was a relief. Ours also didn't need to go that often, but when he did go it was usually after a meal. I let him have access to water till about 8 PM. He seemed to drink a lot. I just took him out when he was sniffing, you kind of get the sense that they need to pee. Maybe you can tether yours to you when he is awake? I wouldn't worry about going back on the training. If you are generally watchful, they are smart enough to figure it all out in a few days (and it seems as though yours already is.) If you catch him going in the house, you can just say uh uh and take him out right away.

Do check the feeding guidelines on the kibble. I learnt that every brand is different.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I tried to just keep him near me and follow him around but the problem with the sniffing is... he does it constantly. He literally just walks around the house sniffing the ground. Then all of a sudden.. its too late. Very little signs before he goes..
GRANBYsyztem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am no expert but i have a 9 week old pup that i have had for a week now and we have had get success with just keeping him on a leash in the house. It's always in my hand. It's a great way to know what he is up to at all times without having to follow him. my dog is also a constant sniffer and i had to to take him out ever 15 minutes when he first got him. Now I feel that he knows he has to hold his pee until he is let out i only take him out every 30 minutes. when my pup has an accident in the house it's always on one side of the room so i avoid letting him go to that part of the room unless i am feeding him or he is napping. Having them on a leash is also a good way to catch and correct bad behavior before it happens. I noticed in the past few days he whines at the door when he needs to go out. there hasn't been an accident under my watch in 3 days...can't say the same for my husband

sorry if this post is all over the place!
AndreaLS687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.