Please help. Puppy teething/nipping way too hard on children. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help. Puppy teething/nipping way too hard on children.

My 14 week old GSD puppy is concerning us.

He is teething heavily which we know is normal but one thing is concerning us. When my wife goes upstairs, which is gated off for potty training reasons, Our pup cries from separation anxiety and then takes it out on our 10 year old twins by jumping up at them on the couch and nipping at them. (Pretty hard I may say). Sometimes my wife is upstairs for only a few minutes to do chores.

We have read many posts about teething with many different opinions. This behavior appears to be nipping as well as teething. We have been told by other posters that a 14 week old pup is too young to establish dominance or hierarchy but it appears that he is taking his stress out on the kids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Danny G; 02-25-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no expert but I would think he might be trying to play with them not necessarily taking his stress out on them. I would think he is whining after your wife leaves because his playmate has left the room, he sees the other humans and he thinks maybe they will play with me. After all, biting you is their way of trying to get you to play with them.

Nevertheless, when they bite it hurts. Have you tried bully sticks? How much exersize is he getting and is there any chance you can increase it? Also have the kids sit with a bunch of toys next to them so they can redirect this behavior.
Oh yeah & Three Fat Cats
Oskar's Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would crate the puppy when your wife is unable to supervise him. We have a crate upstairs and downstairs which made things easy when paisley was young.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds like boredom and attention-seeking behavior. Puppies lack impulse control, there's nothing going on up there keeping them from going, "mom's gone so maybe they'll play with me! Hey, hey, hey pay attention to me!" They tend to ask for attention with their mouths. It's not a stress response, but one of an excited puppy who lacks other outlets.

What are you guys doing for training/exercise? Now is the prime time to start teaching manners and impulse control.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first thought was to recommend putting the kids up. But the other people are right - put the puppy up or put the puppy on a line & take him upstairs. (yeah, I have a puppy, I know how this works...)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

For exercise I walk him or jog him around the block and we have him chasing toys and balls in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
It sounds like boredom and attention-seeking behavior. Puppies lack impulse control, there's nothing going on up there keeping them from going, "mom's gone so maybe they'll play with me! Hey, hey, hey pay attention to me!" They tend to ask for attention with their mouths. It's not a stress response, but one of an excited puppy who lacks other outlets.

What are you guys doing for training/exercise? Now is the prime time to start teaching manners and impulse control.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sometimes she literally goes upstairs for minutes and the dog will hard nip the kids feet or toes. The dog's crate is upstairs for potty training at night but we gated the upstairs off during the day so we can have a constant eye on him. He also has peed on the upstairs carpeted bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
My first thought was to recommend putting the kids up. But the other people are right - put the puppy up or put the puppy on a line & take him upstairs. (yeah, I have a puppy, I know how this works...)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
I would crate the puppy when your wife is unable to supervise him. We have a crate upstairs and downstairs which made things easy when paisley was young.

Agreed - crate when not supervised by the adult. I don't see this as separation anxiety at all - normal pup behavior.

The pup sees the kids as play things - loads of fun. Kids typically have their arms & legs waving in the air - high pitched screams. Very appealing to the pup & tried to engage in play using his mouth - he doesn't have a soft mouth yet. Teach the kids how to interact with the dog. Hopefully training has begun with the pup. At 14 weeks mine was a wild thing
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have toys everywhere that can be quickly stuffed into your pup's mouth. Makes for a messy home, but you don't want your kids teachers thinking they're getting abused at home.

Maybe your wife can give you and your kids a verbal warning that she's going upstairs or away from the pup so you can get ready for the landshark.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post

Absolutely. Teething and nipping are two different things. When his adult teeth starting coming in, (usually happens in the 4-6 month old range), his mouth may be painful, but that shouldn't cause him to bite more.

Nipping can be out of frustration, or he's being playful and doesn't understand that human skin is delicate, and he hasn't been taught bite inhibition, or a combination of both. Dominance has nothing to do with it - biting is normal puppy behavior, that's how he played with his littermates. It's up to us to teach them that biting hurts, and to train them how to use their mouths appropriately.

Also, he probably doesn't have separation anxiety. Our dogs prefer to be with us when we're home, but are perfectly fine being left behind when we have to go somewhere.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.