German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Training 6 week old puppy to use pee pads (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/406914-training-6-week-old-puppy-use-pee-pads.html)

Strypher 02-05-2014 11:02 AM

Training 6 week old puppy to use pee pads

Well my puppy is only 6 weeks about to be 6 she is probably too young to even learn but if she isn't My first question is how do I teach my little girl to use pee pee pads. I've read about putting her face down to the pee and saying no but I really don't wanna do that . Another way is spray bottle filled with lemon juice I think it was ? Spray her when u catch her in the act . It doesn't sound too bad but how much would the lemon juice Affect her I don't want her to be hurt it to learn . Sorry If this is a noob question. And what do I do if I'm trying to crate train her and she starts crying after 2 mins ? People told me don't let her out cause u the boss not her and if I let her out shell always cry to get out . But she also cries if she gotta use the bathroom so how do I know if she crying to get out and or or crying just to get out ?! Thanks again

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cassidy's Mom 02-05-2014 12:11 PM

Please do not punish her when she has accidents. A baby puppy is not that different than a baby human - would you punish a baby for peeing or pooping in a diaper? Of course not! Your puppy has no more bowel and bladder control than a baby does, so it's not her fault. She also does not know how to recognize when she needs to "go", so it's up to you to prevent her from doing it in the house by keeping her with you and watching her at all times, (you can actually tether her to you with a leash) or confining her in the crate when you can't take her out frequently and encourage her to go, especially before and after meals, and naps, and play.

Until she's reliably housebroken, which will probably take at least a few weeks and more likely a few months, you have to assume that she needs to potty when she's crying in her crate, unless you've just taken her out and she's already done her business. She's not going to be able to hold it for very long since she's so young. When she does potty outside, praise her enthusiastically and give her a little treat. Clean all accidents in the house with an enzyme cleaner to completely remove the smell, or it will attract her back to those spots again and again.

Strypher 02-05-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom (Post 4969642)
Please do not punish her when she has accidents. A baby puppy is not that different than a baby human - would you punish a baby for peeing or pooping in a diaper? Of course not! Your puppy has no more bowel and bladder control than a baby does, so it's not her fault. She also does not know how to recognize when she needs to "go", so it's up to you to prevent her from doing it in the house by keeping her with you and watching her at all times, (you can actually tether her to you with a leash) or confining her in the crate when you can't take her out frequently and encourage her to go, especially before and after meals, and naps, and play.

Until she's reliably housebroken, which will probably take at least a few weeks and more likely a few months, you have to assume that she needs to potty when she's crying in her crate, unless you've just taken her out and she's already done her business. She's not going to be able to hold it for very long since she's so young. When she does potty outside, praise her enthusiastically and give her a little treat. Clean all accidents in the house with an enzyme cleaner to completely remove the smell, or it will attract her back to those spots again and again.

I mean why would I punish a baby for pooping or peeing in a diaper ? That is the diaper job. Is there a way to show her it's wrong to pee on the floor ? And not the pad

Cassidy's Mom 02-05-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strypher (Post 4969826)
Is there a way to show her it's wrong to pee on the floor ? And not the pad

Not by punishing her, no. Prevent accidents, don't punish them.

blackshep 02-05-2014 01:30 PM

If she has an accident on the floor, it's your fault because you didn't take her out in time, so no, NEVER punish her. You can interrupt her and move her to the right area, but punishing her will probably make things worse.

there will be accidents. Get some enzyme based cleaner to remove the smell and try to take your pup out frequently, every couple of hours, after playtime, after they wake up from a nap, after they eat/drink. It's hard work

Can you not take your dog outside to potty instead of the pads? I think it makes things easier when they learn that pottying is an outside only type of activity.

It just takes time.

You wouldn't punish a human baby for messing in it's diapers, it's just as unreasonable to punish a puppy for having an accident until they are old enough to gain some control over their bowls.

Waldi 02-05-2014 02:16 PM

onbly positive re-inforcement will generate positive results in puppy that young, must be patient, work on positive, in the mean time clean accidents very well. be patient do not punish!!

Strypher 02-05-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 4970026)
If she has an accident on the floor, it's your fault because you didn't take her out in time, so no, NEVER punish her. You can interrupt her and move her to the right area, but punishing her will probably make things worse.

there will be accidents. Get some enzyme based cleaner to remove the smell and try to take your pup out frequently, every couple of hours, after playtime, after they wake up from a nap, after they eat/drink. It's hard work

Can you not take your dog outside to potty instead of the pads? I think it makes things easier when they learn that pottying is an outside only type of activity.

It just takes time.

You wouldn't punish a human baby for messing in it's diapers, it's just as unreasonable to punish a puppy for having an accident until they are old enough to gain some control over their bowls.

It's my fault because I couldn't take her out.. Maybe you didn't read my post or missed some details but sh is 6 weeks The vet said she can't go out till 4-5 months and Why do y'all keep saying that lol? who punishes a baby for pooping in a DIAPER?! And no i cannot take her out she is too young if I had the option would've toke her out I also think it's easier. Thanks for the replies everyone !

stmcfred 02-05-2014 03:24 PM

They keep saying it's like punishing a baby who poops in a diaper because it's basically the same thing. The baby does not know to go in the toilet just like the puppy doesn't know it needs to go outside. Until it's taught.

Your vet said to keep the puppy indoors until 4-5 months? Sorry, but sounds like you need a new vet.

It's a good idea to keep the puppy away from other dogs and unfamiliar areas until it's had its shots, but there's nothing wrong with taking it in your yard. If you teach the pup to use the pads, you'll eventually have to train it again to go outside anyhow. Why not skip the unnecessary step?

Kaimeju 02-05-2014 03:53 PM

You can take her outside to pee in the yard, that is not a problem. Just don't take her to public parks and places where lots of other dogs are doing their business. Your vet probably was worried about her catching diseases from other dogs.

David Taggart 02-05-2014 04:24 PM

Like in small children, at her age urinating is absolutely uncontrolable due to the intensity of water circulation in the body. Puppies drink more often as well. Whipe her pee with that pad and place it next to her open crate. Take her by lifting her bottom with rolled down tail with one hand and under armpits with the other to the pad every time you think she's just about to do it. She should react herself on the smell. Reward with stroking and saying "Good girl" only you noticed she went right there herself, never punish her for that. Putting your puppy nose into her little pond applies to much later age, when she's already trained to pee outdoors, but still isn't perfect.