Beginner puppy training class experience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Beginner puppy training class experience

Tonight was our 3rd of 4 classes in beginning puppy and socialization. Last week Dagr pretty much checked out about 3/4 the way through the class. He was done and having no more of it. He is by far the youngest, we got him in entirely too early on purpose. We weighed the risks and decided to do it.

He has seemed a little nervous/anxious in class. New smells, dog sounds, big dogs, the high pitched voice of the trainer he seems nervous about as well. We have been taking him to the facility outside of training and they let us use a training room so he gets used to the place etc.

Today was hectic. I almost called and canceled. My wife got home, jumped in my car and we were off. Dagr was in the crate today longer than I think he has ever been. I was sort of dreading the training tonight....

He resisted going in but he usually does. He did go in by himself with some coaxing. He absolutely rocked it tonight. We were so proud of him. The trainer was impressed as well. She brought in a Mal and a Beauceron as distractions and Dagr was on point. He did everything we had learned and then some.

We worked on healing quite a bit. I used the wall to keep him in position. The trainer asked me what I was doing then realised before I could answer. She said ok, I'll shut up now and leave you alone, you know what your doing.

Thanks for reading. I just had to brag on our little man a little. He has been a monster lately. I did not have high expectations tonight and he was great!!
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good job to the both of you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Grats on a good training day!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good job!!!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

So glad you went and it's going well!

With our younger pups and the 'crazy' of going to classes it's common to have good nights and bad nights. And our pups can 'check out' . Important to pay attention to the puppy AND the instructor and if you have to leave the room for a few minutes (just say it's for a potty break and maybe it is ) you can leave and go outside to quickly play tug or give some yummy treats.

I'm always with my 'happy voice' when we arrive in the parking lot, get out of the car and enter the building. I always have my baggie of yummy tiny treats to give out. And since I seem so happy to greet everyone and see everyone my puppy quickly learns it must be a wonderful place (and the treats help too )
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like a really good session.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i didn't wait for my once week traing class to train.
i use to invite a lot people to visit with their dogs
and pups to train throughout the week. i use to
get together with the people from the class and other
people to train and socialize.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

great job!
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Way to go, Dagr!
DonnaKay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you all for the replies.

Thanks for the suggestions MaggieRoseLee. The trainer was supplying treats, he seems to love them. I bought a bag last night. For some reason the thought didn't cross my mind to treat when entering or to lure when entering. I feel like a Dolt... Next week I will try that. I do not potty him at training. We live 5 mins away and potty before we leave home. Still being careful.

DoggieDad: We train at least 3 sessions a day, everyday. However, he hasn't had his last round of shots yet and I feel like I'm already taking a risk by having him in the class. As next week is the last beginner class, the other families have already started talking with us about doing the advanced class and meets outside of class. The other dogs are much older, much larger and play much rougher and siblings. I don't want to put him in a situation that will cause any trauma yet. Last night he seemed much more comfortable with the other students so we are getting to that point very soon. It is on my mind.

One of the parents was killing me for a nice picture of Dagr. She is a big fan, he likes her too. I think she was trying to show one of her friends. I sent her his 10 week photo (My Avatar) and she went crazy. Now it appears that I'm taking pics of her dog for her. Not that I mind.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.