Question on housebreaking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question on housebreaking

Quick question on housebreaking a puppy...My male GSD is going to be 14 weeks old in 2 days. He was doing amazing with the housebreaking as I had 2 weeks off of work when I first got him due to the holidays. Then I went back to work and he was still doing great. While I'm at work he is in the kennel but I did put a puppy pad in there just in case he had an accident while I'm at work.

Well needless to say he had to be moved up to a larger kennel but I put up the divider because I was told by my trainer & my family members to not give him too big of a kennel as it would encourage him to go to the bathroom in his kennel. However, even though right now the kennel he is in with the divider is the size it should be every night by time I get home from work he's peed in the box and lays in it. It was suggested to me to just remove the divider and put a puppy pad on one side and let him lay on the other.

Would this work or is it teaching him it's okay to pee in the box? I feel horrible right now but I've never seen a dog lay in his own pee? My female shepherd never did this. When we moved her from one the box to the next we used the divider and she was fine
MandyLyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

How long are you gone?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Entire Work Day

I'm gone for my entire work day so usually about 9-10 hours. But my mom tries to come over to let them out but she can't always make it.
MandyLyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyLyn16 View Post
I'm gone for my entire work day so usually about 9-10 hours. But my mom tries to come over to let them out but she can't always make it.
Your puppy can't hold it so that's why he is going. If your mother isn't going to make it there to let him out is there someone else that can? Could you talk to your leadership about it and go home at lunch or something? Never worked with puppy pads so I'm not sure I have advice for that.. someone else will chime in on that part I'm sure

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like too many hours. Maybe the first few times he made it he drank less water that day etc. he needs to be let out more
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
he's peed in the box and lays in it.
That is sign of stress, because he is left alone. Separation anxiety, not the potty issue. He is streessed and it doesn't matter for him where he lays. Actually, it is similar with people - depressed children pee in their bed and then sleep on the mat on the floor, pee on the mat and go back into already dry bed. They do it because their single parent has left them for a month, he is a trucker, asked old neighbour to feed the child, and that one comes twice a day. I'd like to suggest finding a puppy-sitter, not to put the whole issue onto your mom. Your young dog must be active, have company during the day, because he is developing not only physically, but mentally as well.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Look into a play group or daycare for the days your mom cant come. When my daughter went back to school and no one was home for 8 or more hours. We put our pup in daycare. If less than 4 hours we do the crate. Hes one yr old now but we still follow that routine. I know its hard to work all day and have a young dog, but you will worry less knowing hes taken care of.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

My 11-week-old pup is in a large kennel (no divider) all day. I am gone for about 8 and a half hours. She always chews up or wads up the puppy pads, so I haven't been putting them in. But that being said, my mom lets her out twice during the work day and my brother lets her out an additional time. They are also often home before I am. So, I think that he needs to be let out more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.