German Shepherds Forum banner

Barking

777 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cethlen1621 
#1 ·
I know it will take a lot of time and patience for my pup to be obedient and protective but how do I teach him to bark? I want him to be able to bark at any strange noises around the house (if someone were to break in) and stop on command but the only noise he ever makes is whining.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
you don't want to teach that yourself or you could get a dog that barks at every little thing. It will happen naturally when an odd situation occurs, it's in the breed's nature and comes out with age. Just work on regular obedience and confidence

#3 ·
and once he barks, mark that behavior with ( anything you use to mark good behavior depending on training method, i use "good". Couldn't find a clicker) and treat. And encourage him to bark.
At least that's how my GSD Tyson picked up. :D and make sure you teach him to stop as well, you don't want to wake up all night at his barking.

#4 ·
Yep ,my Rocky basically does'nt bark unless..someone is around and close! No barking at people on the sidewalk or neigbors in tthere backyard or the dogs on either side of our fence that are there all the time.

If he barks I take notice, it still might be nothing but it is something that is different! :)

So I wouldn’t worry about it. :)

#5 ·
Our 5 year old rescue rarely barks. The few times he has were due to other dogs barking or growling at him. Not sure what his barking or other noise learning went before we got him, but considering he's spent his 5 years in a puppy mill, he is pretty mellow. And from what one said earlier, most animals will find their voice when something strikes them a certain way. If you do want to teaching barking as an alarm, probably best to talk to an actual trainer as my guess. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.