Separation anxiety (maybe afraid of the dark?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separation anxiety (maybe afraid of the dark?)

My new pup is 2 months old. He is solely an outside dog and he already super attached (which I love), but everytime it's time for bed and I leave him in the garage alone he whines for at least 20 min and goes nuts like I'm abandoning him. I've given him toys and we've established that the yard and garage is his area but he won't get comfortable at night. During the day I'm always outside with him (playing, going for walks) and if I'm inside with my son or cleaning or something he will watch me or run around or take naps and is always just fine. It's just at night that's a problem. I was thinking maybe he's afraid of the dark but he was outside in the dark since he was born with his parents and siblings. What can I do to help him not be so nervous when it's bedtime?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mommanomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

your pup is 8 weeks old....

if you leave him in the garage all night dont you wake up with poop and pee everywhere???
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is a doggy door so he has access to the yard whenever he needs to use the restroom. The first night we got him he had a couple poop piles (assuming he was just nervous) but hasn't gone in the garage ever since. He's learning very quickly.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommanomma View Post
There is a doggy door so he has access to the yard whenever he needs to use the restroom. The first night we got him he had a couple poop piles (assuming he was just nervous) but hasn't gone in the garage ever since. He's learning very quickly.

German shepherds like to be with their family. We got our boy at 9 weeks last week and his kennel is right next to our bed, he cries for 10 minutes tops. I know it's not where you want the dog to be but your pup is a baby, these initial weeks are crucial for developing a good bond and for him to learn acceptable behavior. The last thing you want is a bored pup who gets destructive and unruly.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
madis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bringing him indoors is completely out of the question. He loves being outside and is perfectly fine during the day when he is alone. Also he does wonderfully with my 10 month old son and is never too rough so that's not the reasoning for him being outside. My husband agreed to getting the puppy only if he would remain outside permanently.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also I spend most of my day outside with him and the baby. The most that we go inside for is an hour unless it's too cold for the baby; then we are at the sliding glass door playing and talking to him.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Bringing him indoors is completely out of the question. He loves being outside and is perfectly fine during the day when he is alone. Also he does wonderfully with my 10 month old son and is never too rough so that's not the reasoning for him being outside. My husband agreed to getting the puppy only if he would remain outside permanently.

Since that's the only option for you guys, you could get one of those old alarm clocks with the bells (just make sure the ringer is off) and sew it into a teddy bear or a pillow that smells like you, the ticking reminds them of a heartbeat and could help him calm down and not feel so lonely. It worked with our lab growing up.

And I mean this in no ill way at all, but why a german shepherd for you guys? They are pretty high maintenance emotionally and can become a little too independent. But it sounds like you guys do a great job with him during the day just keep it up. Mine already found out how much fun digging is -__-

― Will Rogers
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

We chose a German shepherd because my husband loves them and we have a close friend who's parents breed them so we only paid 100 when she is selling them for 1000 each.

I'm fully ready to give as much attention and care as he needs. Of course my child comes first but I treat the puppy like family too.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
We chose a German shepherd because my husband loves them and we have a close friend who's parents breed them so we only paid 100 when she is selling them for 1000 each.

I'm fully ready to give as much attention and care as he needs. Of course my child comes first but I treat the puppy like family too.

Lucky you! They are great dogs. Good luck!

― Will Rogers
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Mine was inside in a crate also. Is it possible to leave the light on in the garage? And Id do the clock in the teddybear thing too. Poor guy is probably wondering where you are when he's with you all day and then you disappear leaving him in a dark closed up room alone at night. Sorry. I don't agree with leaving him in the garage. Does he atleast have a crate to crawl into? Id try that too - or even a box or something small he can cuddle into with a blanket so he feels safe in his "den"? Just my thoughts. Good luck with your puppy. Do you have pictures? We love seeing sweet puppies!!!

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.