Leash or no leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leash or no leash?

So I'm beginning to train my 8 week old girl, but I'm wondering if I should be training her with a leash or not. Currently not using one, and I train her before eating times to keep her engaged and wanting the kibble. She hasn't ran off or anything yet during the sessions, but it's only our second day. If should be leash training anyone have a training collar recommendation for an 8 week old pup? Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Hessa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

At that age I would only put on a flat collar or a harness. You really don't need a leash yet. Work on your relationship first. Look into engagement training.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd only use a leash if she's always distracted. If she's interested in training, I don't see the point for one.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show
HarleyTheGSD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I do most of my puppy training at home off leash. I do like to have a lightweight leash attached to the flat collar, so I can step on it if necessary, but I want my puppies to pay attention to me and work with me, and not just because they are restrained by a leash. That requires me to be as motivating and fun as possible, so puppy WANTS to engage with me.

Obviously, outdoors I use a leash, for safety reasons.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do almost all of my training off leash. I want a dog reliable off leash, so I don't even introduce a leash until they're much older unless it's really necessary.

My border collie is 1.5 years and the only time he's on a leash is to go to the vet, some training classes, or the store. To/from the car, work, exercise at the park, etc. he's off leash and I can control him really well... because I never learned to rely on a leash!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never used a leash with my puppy either...his recall is 99% always has been. My female pup I did use a leash on and her recall is horrid. I know her personality is a huge part of it...she isn't a very biddable dog.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

If my memory serves ...at 8 weeks they were like glue...no leash required. But just getting a pup used to a leash for some has been problematic.

I used to make my pups hide their eyes, count to 20, I'd hide and darned if they didn't find me every time.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
If my memory serves ...at 8 weeks they were like glue...no leash required. But just getting a pup used to a leash for some has been problematic.

I used to make my pups hide their eyes, count to 20, I'd hide and darned if they didn't find me every time.

SuperG
Haha nice my girl's seems to be a little more independent. Doesn't respond to a recall kind of like Onyx's pup. She does sit when told to so far though. Anyways I found some engagement stuff I really like and want to try out. Was only asking about the leash thing because I'm reading Art of Raising a Puppy, and from what I'm getting they seem to like the leash. I'm going to keep her off of it. I tried it on her a couple days ago to keep from running around everywhere and she threw the biggest fit. 😳

Thanks everyone!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Hessa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you allow the dog to learn that the leash is an essential part of communication, it will need it in the future. Many people tug on a leash to get the dogs attention and then give a command. This physical cue will override any verbal cure you are attempting to use, and we'll become part of obedience for the dog.

Until much later in training (roughly 6 months), when the rules of leash pressure are shown to the dog, I don't use the leash for anything but management. If I need to get the dogs attention, I use my voice and movement to become more interesting than any distraction.

Engagement and focus on the handler are the first step in the training process, and until the pup is pushing and offering behaviors, I don't begin any formal training.

JMHO

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have never used a lead to train with except for recall on a 30' lead. Lisl as Ossie both were and are more than willing to learn and stay engaged without a lead.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.