Thoughts on our heeling - schutzhund/rally - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on our heeling - schutzhund/rally

Hi everyone, this is my 13 month old czechy puppy and I heeling. As of right now we are just training for fun but would like to get serious soon. We may train in schutzhund, rally, or both. Lately we've been having issues with forging(probably due to poor award placement?). As you can see in the video our work on rear end awareness and focus is paying off. I used to reward while she was still in position, but now I use my marker/release word and then toss the ball. If you have any constructive criticism or tips on how to fix the forging or any other issues you see please let me know. Thanks so much!

Daniellezeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

very nice! can i have your dog? i also use a ball and just recently i've been rewarding basically perpendicular to my body so my dog doesnt anticipate the reward coming out even a little bit in front of him and forging. its just a ball on a long string like in the video below. this is where i copied the idea from. not really sure if it'll help but it makes sense in my mind!

boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the complement and reply. That video is very good. I will have to watch the next one as well. I use a ball on string too. I'm waiting for a new shipment because I lost my other balls when I was injured at the park and needed to leave immediately.

" i also use a ball and just recently i've been rewarding basically perpendicular to my body so my dog doesnt anticipate the reward coming out even a little bit in front of him and forging"

So you use your right hand to throw the ball towards his mouth? I'll try that. I reward in all different positions. I'm not consistent with it. Maybe that's the problem?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Fantastic job! The both of you are doing great. I love her enthusiasm.
Keep up the good work!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You look pretty darned good! The dog is happy (major points there) and you seem happy. The routine is animated and lively.

I cannot see for sure where you carry the ball. It might help if you carried it in your left arm pit. To release it, you simply move your elbow out and the ball drops. (Unless the ball is wet with dew or saliva and you are wearing cotton - then it sticks! - So plan on a dry ball or a nylon jacket...)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
You look pretty darned good! The dog is happy (major points there) and you seem happy. The routine is animated and lively.

I cannot see for sure where you carry the ball. It might help if you carried it in your left arm pit. To release it, you simply move your elbow out and the ball drops. (Unless the ball is wet with dew or saliva and you are wearing cotton - then it sticks! - So plan on a dry ball or a nylon jacket...)
Thanks so much! It's nice to know we're doing something right...haha. I was carrying it in my hand. I have tried carrying it in my armpit, but the little stinker sometimes jumps up to get it when I give her her marker/release, and she's not careful when she does this. It doesn't help that I'm short either. You know, the more I think of it I think that ball was sticking, which is what was causing our problems. Wow, I love it when the light bulb goes off. Thanks! I'll either dry the ball or wear nylon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
Fantastic job! The both of you are doing great. I love her enthusiasm.
Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much! She takes after her mommy. We both love training! Now if I could just get her to stop barking at other dogs we might be able to trial in rally. We have a great group that trains in flyball, rally, schutzhund, and french ring. We will be joining them soon.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is a lot good there, however I notice on a couple she has tendency to crab you and then you try to turn into her to fix this. I would work on in the kitchen her being able to turn left without you running onto her, this is kind of hard to explain what I do but it goes along with slow down and work on rear end awareness so she can turn he but without you guiding her around. Also I notice you have a tendency to throw the toy and she develops anticipation for that which leads to her leaving your side before the reward does in the one where you are walking at the camera. So try and have her come up your side and get the reward to keep her by your side. This help to clear some of the forging if you work on the position she should be in. For you I would encourage to pick a goal of where you are heeling and go for that, i.e. it seems like you are walking a random confusing walk around a field and not picking places to go to and that can help with fine tuning.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
There is a lot good there, however I notice on a couple she has tendency to crab you and then you try to turn into her to fix this. I would work on in the kitchen her being able to turn left without you running onto her, this is kind of hard to explain what I do but it goes along with slow down and work on rear end awareness so she can turn he but without you guiding her around. Also I notice you have a tendency to throw the toy and she develops anticipation for that which leads to her leaving your side before the reward does in the one where you are walking at the camera. So try and have her come up your side and get the reward to keep her by your side. This help to clear some of the forging if you work on the position she should be in. For you I would encourage to pick a goal of where you are heeling and go for that, i.e. it seems like you are walking a random confusing walk around a field and not picking places to go to and that can help with fine tuning.
You are right, she does anticipate the reward and begins to leaves position before I trow it. I never even noticed that until you mentioned it. I think she's doing this because I used my marker/release word, so she knows it's coming. So now that she clearly understands the commands, do you think I should do away with the marker and just release the ball (in position)?

Okay, so you think I should plan out our heeling route ahead of time? No problem. My main goal was to work on left turns. I kind of just turned whenever I felt like it, but a few times I turned so swiftly that I had to catch my balance...lol. So maybe a plan would be good. Thanks so much!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm going to add one thing that I might have forgotten earlier - I started throwing the reward, too. I was told not to throw it but to drop it. Works better. It is at the end, when we are leaving the field after our short boute of training, that we throw the reward & play.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.