Is my heel "correct" (schutzhund PSA??) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liz&Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 360
Default Is my heel "correct" (schutzhund PSA??)

I have so many questions it seems

Ok SO- I want to compete in either schutzhund or PSA and trust me I know we have a long road ahead of us, my question is, is my heel ok? Is her position alright? I know some people have the dog look at a target or your shoulder or the side of your head, are all of these correct? Or should her head be straight up? I know she appears to be touching me but she is not-she is extremely close though (I also know how far back she sat while heeling- notice the hesitation? We had been working on down in motion for several times in a row I think she was just anticipating that)

Any way- any one who competes, is this right?

Anna's obedience at 5 months - YouTube

Thank you


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,158
Default

VERY nice for a 5 month old. you have to teach him to sit the correct way though. the heel looks good but once he sits, he rocks back onto his back legs and he is completely out of plane with you. he is no longer next to your leg but behind you. his back legs should move up to sit, not his front legs moving back. i had the exact same problem. i fixed it by not holding the treat so high above his head during "sit training". i held it more forward and lower so that he is moving his butt and back legs forward to sit.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 302
Default

I like a lot of the video, I agree with stops where he sits he falls back so work more on that. The only nit I had with your part was rewarding with the right hand now can lead to forging later, so try and do everything with your left. Otherwise it looked really good.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
DaniFani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,362
Default

Looks great! I have a bicolor too, best color!! hehehe

Her head drops every time on your first step. I had this same problem with all three dogs I've started healing with lol. What worked for me was to be more animated and happy in my face, kind of built the dog up with some drive via my facial expression, and take that step as I'm smiling/saying the command. Trying to keep the dogs attention so the head doesn't drop.

I would slow down, and work on the perfect focus in sitting next to you. Reward for looking at you, start to slowly take that first step and keep that eye contact, trying to get rid of that head drop. You can also work on the perfect positioning next to you paired with the focus. I do a LOT of focus in the sit next to me, get that perfect, proofed under distraction, and THEN we finally take a step forward. It seems to help keep that 100% focus. I don't want the head to drop. She's only 5 months though, no biggie. Just critiquing what I can. :-D Beautiful pup!
__________________
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liz&Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
VERY nice for a 5 month old. you have to teach him to sit the correct way though. the heel looks good but once he sits, he rocks back onto his back legs and he is completely out of plane with you. he is no longer next to your leg but behind you. his back legs should move up to sit, not his front legs moving back. i had the exact same problem. i fixed it by not holding the treat so high above his head during "sit training". i held it more forward and lower so that he is moving his butt and back legs forward to sit.
Thank you so much I've been working on this heel every day for months and I've had SO much trouble, from crabbing/forging to biting and jumping to her being to far away, I've tried basically everything and I just needed to know that it is finally right.

Ill work on the sit like crazy next, I wasn't sure how to fix it, ill start stationary first and see how it goes

This is proving to be super hard haha but I guess that's why not everyone competes


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liz&Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
I like a lot of the video, I agree with stops where he sits he falls back so work more on that. The only nit I had with your part was rewarding with the right hand now can lead to forging later, so try and do everything with your left. Otherwise it looked really good.
Got it haha I've heard that before, sometimes I just forget -and yes def have to work on her sit I need it to be perfect!!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liz&Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
Looks great! I have a bicolor too, best color!! hehehe

Her head drops every time on your first step. I had this same problem with all three dogs I've started healing with lol. What worked for me was to be more animated and happy in my face, kind of built the dog up with some drive via my facial expression, and take that step as I'm smiling/saying the command. Trying to keep the dogs attention so the head doesn't drop.

I would slow down, and work on the perfect focus in sitting next to you. Reward for looking at you, start to slowly take that first step and keep that eye contact, trying to get rid of that head drop. You can also work on the perfect positioning next to you paired with the focus. I do a LOT of focus in the sit next to me, get that perfect, proofed under distraction, and THEN we finally take a step forward. It seems to help keep that 100% focus. I don't want the head to drop. She's only 5 months though, no biggie. Just critiquing what I can. :-D Beautiful pup!
Wow I didn't even notice she dropped her head! See this is exactly why I need another pair of eyes, everyone will notice different things, I need the criticism, I won't get offended. This is all new to me and need lots of guidance so I appreciate all of it


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
DaniFani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Anna View Post
Thank you so much I've been working on this heel every day for months and I've had SO much trouble, from crabbing/forging to biting and jumping to her being to far away, I've tried basically everything and I just needed to know that it is finally right.

Ill work on the sit like crazy next, I wasn't sure how to fix it, ill start stationary first and see how it goes

This is proving to be super hard haha but I guess that's why not everyone competes


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The first time I started teaching heel with my first GSD it was a MESS! Remembering to keep my shoulders square, leash short, reward from left, reward at the right time, not drop treats, etc....A.Mess. LOL! Are you working with a club? Def work on the stationary sit, right next to you, dog shoulders next to your knee, no puppy sit, and 100% focus. ONLY move when you have a 100% focus, stop and re-set when the head drops. Dog needs to learn it needs to stay focused and in position the whole time. It IS hard. It looks so easy from the outside, until you take an ADD puppy and start from scratch! lol
__________________
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liz&Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
The first time I started teaching heel with my first GSD it was a MESS! Remembering to keep my shoulders square, leash short, reward from left, reward at the right time, not drop treats, etc....A.Mess. LOL! Are you working with a club? Def work on the stationary sit, right next to you, dog shoulders next to your knee, no puppy sit, and 100% focus. ONLY move when you have a 100% focus, stop and re-set when the head drops. Dog needs to learn it needs to stay focused and in position the whole time. It IS hard. It looks so easy from the outside, until you take an ADD puppy and start from scratch! lol
Wellllll lol yes, I did a tacking lesson with irondog k9's in VA, I do bite work with the mid Atlantic protection group once a week and so far I have done 2 obedience lessons (privately) with arrowwood shepherds (he won't put Anna in to group until she's 6 months old) but we haven't started the heel yet were really working on her drive and focus, I'm thinking just relationship building really.

I'm gonna work on it and ill be sure to post more videos - this kind of sloppy heel has taken me like 3 months on my own watching DVDs hahah and YouTube videos -__-


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,158
Default

i personally wouldnt nitpick too much about the head drop at the beginning on a 5 month pup. the pup probably isnt completely comfortable with its body yet and just wants to see where its walking before giving focus.

with more training the dog will be more confident and trust you more and not worry that you'll walk her straight into a pole.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com