German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Potty Training without discipline? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/400602-potty-training-without-discipline.html)

Oskar's Human 01-23-2014 12:39 PM

Potty Training without discipline?

So my almost 8 week old Oskar has been doing quite well. We take him outside and he goes right away in the same spot almost every time. When he doesn't have to go he lies down at our feet or goes back and stands at the door. After letting him back in he doesn't have accidents right away.

He hasn't had any problems going number two in the house, largely because we take him out often and he hasn't gone in his crate once!

He does still have accidents, which is understandable because he is so young and we are only on day 4 of having him/potty training him but I want to make sure we are going about it in the most effective way.

I've heard some say disciplining is bad and others say it helps them associate a negative interacting with going inside, and I am just wondering your opinions on this. I do not want to make him fear-aggressive or learn to be afraid of eliminating in front of us etc but I want to know how to train him to start letting us know he needs to go out instead of us just taking him out every 45 min-1 hour.

This may seem like a basic question, but he is my first puppy and I am a titch overwhelmed with the barrage of conflicting information out there. I'd like to hear some experienced folks give me the straight skinny on what worked for them.

gaia_bear 01-23-2014 12:46 PM

I've always followed the thought that any accidents in the house are my fault, he's still learning and would have no idea why he's being punished.

trcy 01-23-2014 12:49 PM

I didn't really discipline If I caught him in the act I would say "no, no...you potty outside." Then take him out to the potty place.

madis 01-23-2014 12:50 PM

We have a 10 week old who is also at your pups level. The thing you have to constantly remember is that GSDs are not like normal dogs. They tend to be very sensitive to discipline, which could make them fearful/insecure. If we didn't see him do it (were only human and he wanders out of our sight sometimes), one of us plays with him in the other room while the other cleans it with an enzyme cleaner. We never let him see us clean it because we don't want to draw any attention to it. Now if we see him squatting, we do a firm but not "mean" No and pick him up mid-stream and gently take him outside and say "go potty". We have noticed if we get frustrated an raise our voice, he really gets sad and just kind of shuts down for a few minutes. Every time we take him outside and he goes, we act like he just won the Nobel prize.

This is just our method. It really seems to be working.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

middleofnowhere 01-23-2014 01:04 PM

The discipline for house training wrecks should be administered to the humans involved, not the pup. If you catch him in the act, just say something like "oops" and pick him up and take him outside. Right then. Personally, I've not had much luck intercepting (my fault not the pups). But frequent outside trips "putting a name on it" and praising like they just found your lost gold watch seems to work. My pup has figured out what "whizz" means and what "poop" means. Or at least what activity in response to those words gets a lot of praise.

madis 01-23-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 4890066)
The discipline for house training wrecks should be administered to the humans involved, not the pup. If you catch him in the act, just say something like "oops" and pick him up and take him outside. Right then. Personally, I've not had much luck intercepting (my fault not the pups). But frequent outside trips "putting a name on it" and praising like they just found your lost gold watch seems to work. My pup has figured out what "whizz" means and what "poop" means. Or at least what activity in response to those words gets a lot of praise.

Lol I like your potty words :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 01-23-2014 01:15 PM

I've never bothered to train mine to "let me know". I just take them out at intervals appropriate for their age, and by the time they're 6 months or so they can hold it all day and all night. My current pup is 13 weeks and I let him out every 30-45 minutes while he's awake. At night he can hold it 5-6 hours so far.

Sp00ks 01-23-2014 01:24 PM

We have an 11 week pup and still about the same place you are. He will go on command, "go potty", "go poop" and seems to know the difference.

Yesterday evening he is in the kitchen with my wife. He comes running into the living room, sits in front of me and cries. I jump up at take him outside, he pee'd and pooped (we have different places for each) and I never stepped off the deck. As far as I'm concerned he DID just win the Nobel prize.

He still doesn't seem to know the concept of outside only. I "think" we are making progress.... I think..... Our last Shepherd was done at two weeks with only a couple of accidents after. So it's either a male vs female thing or simply all dogs are different.

kiya 01-23-2014 01:26 PM

You have to remember your puppy is only a baby. Just be consistant and extremely patient. You wouldn't discipline an infant for soiling its diaper. You will learn to see the signals, unless your puppy is like Lakota was. We used to call her the "stealth squatter"!

MichaelE 01-23-2014 01:26 PM

Other than a, "No! Let's go outside!" if I saw her starting to look around or squat, I did not discipline Lisl to potty train her. If she had an accident I said nothing, cleaned it up, and we went out until she pottied again. Sometimes those where some very long and cold trips outside.

What I did was take her out every 20-30 minutes at that age to teach her where potty was to take place and where it was not to take place. I also managed her water and food intake extremely close to get her into a semi-regular routine for going potty.

You do not want the pup to associate anything bad with going potty.