German Shepherds Forum banner

Come when called?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jafo220 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need some ideas or suggestions on how to get a solid "come when called" command. It's a little iffy as of right now. Our pup will be 16 weeks on Sunday.
Thank you for any ideas you may have that will help. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
One suggestion I have is NEVER call unless you can enforce the 'come' command. That means practice it with a long line attached to the collar. Call your pup and reel it to you if it doesn't obey. Give it a treat. Also, play a game with two people. One person holds the puppy and the other runs a bit away and calls the pup to it. Give a treat and lots of praise when it charges to you. Then you hold it, and have the other person call and give treats and praise when it runs back.

#4 ·
I've learned that it's one thing that you can't practice too much. Cuervo is 7 months now and I'm just starting to proof his recall by adding in distractions such as other people and dogs. One thing I noticed between him and my other dog is I did a lot of engagement training with him and it seemed to make a difference in how solid his recall is.

#5 ·
My pup is the same age as yours. His recall is a bit doubtful too. He comes back ok when we are on our own, but if there are any other dogs around I might as well not be there! I agree with the long line suggestion, but it is hard to control things when he is rushing round playing with other dogs.

#6 ·
Your pup is a baby. You won't have anything solid. Make sure you keep it light and fun. You are building foundation right now, not the house.

#7 ·
Imo you are expecting wayyyyyyyyyy too much from that young a dog. Just have fun with your dog and work a lot on engagement. It makes a big difference.

I also think that Yeah there is a thing as too much recall training. Make it repetitive and boring and you've suddenly set yourself back.

#8 ·
I think you should just keep working this in appropriate little puppy ways so the pup is successful but don't worry... yet. Pup is too young for absolute consistency. Don't push too hard or you and pup will get frustrated. My experience is that the recall gets really bad between 4-7 months and then improves a lot with appropriate training.

Hang in there.

#9 · (Edited)
when my puppy was 4 months her recall was a bit iffy. Now she is 5 months and with just a little practise each day (like if its time to go inside when she is in the backyard) she now has a solid recall. When I did this I didn't use treats, just a lot of practice did the trick. The only thing that distracts now her is the chickens, still working on that one.

#10 ·

I used normal store bought treats for training obedience commands. But what worked well for me on recall commands was using high value treats I didn't or don't normally use. Something like hotdog pieces, or the refigerated treats you can buy. Something special and awesome to the dog. I would also multi-treat when recall was done properly. Two to three treats at a time. I also praised alittle more than I would with a normal obedience command. Always happy never yelling but alittle am alittle excited when they get to me. But only used the high value treats for recall only. Worked pretty good for me.

#11 ·
'Come' or recall, and heel were the only two commands I teach with treats. It helps a lot with both.

I used a 30' lead and a lot of repetitions. As was already mentioned, don't use the command if you can't enforce it.

Recall or 'come' should be the command the dog loves the absolute most because he/she knows good things happen when you come. Lots of praise and verbal acknowledgement. If he/she knows good things happen when they obey they will come every time.

#12 ·
the most important thing is to make it fun and exciting. high value treats are great but as the dog matures and becomes more independent, there are things they would rather do than eat. its easy to bribe a child with candy but its less easy to bribe a teenager with candy. its even harder to bribe an adult. plus you wont always have "candy" handy. make yourself fun. act silly. if your dog would rather play with a dog than with you then somethings wrong.

#13 ·

Using highvalue treats are to break the ice. After alot of repititions, it becomes second nature to follow your voice. It's about consistancy and repitition. You eventually fade the treats out. I as of now hardly ever use treats. Now is the time to get good habits down. But I agree, with most important commands, you want to try and be the center of your dogs world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.