German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Working lines-behavior question?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/397257-working-lines-behavior-question.html)

Liz&Anna 01-16-2014 10:34 PM

Working lines-behavior question??

1 Attachment(s)
This will sound weird, I have a Chinese crested who is 4, I've done rally with him and worked on OB training since he was 8 weeks, allot of my friends are dog trainers so I'm no stranger to dog body language or behavior, when I do obedience with Anna she is very serious. There is no fun happy skippy prance like I get from my boy or like I've seen as the "norm". Anna looks at me the way she looks at her tug (I do bite work so for any one else who is doing this you know what I mean). Jaw closed tight eyes huge-it's intense. Is this normal for gsd?

This is a pic of her fuss (heel) basically what I see, she is making direct eye contact with no lure

Attachment 166497

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

onyx'girl 01-16-2014 10:46 PM

she's cute! I think females are more serious than males. But they can still be animated when working. Give her some time, praise her often and reward her for that great focus!!

Liz&Anna 01-16-2014 10:47 PM

She is also my first female dog ever- it could be that, I never thought of that

Freestep 01-17-2014 01:32 AM

How old is she? That's great focus on you!

G-burg 01-17-2014 05:24 AM

A lot of dogs (males and females) can be intense in the work (OB).. It's not limited to german shepherds..

Your dog is still young..

Dainerra 01-17-2014 07:00 AM

my boy gets like that in training from time to time. Doesn't mean that he isn't having fun; he's just focused and paying attention.
Honestly, I can tell you from experience that a lot of those "happy prances" you see in obedience work are trained - nothing to do with the dog being happy. They are simply taught "walk like this to get a reward" Not saying that those dogs are "unhappy" working, of course.

Shade 01-17-2014 07:30 AM

That's great, I agree with Jane and make sure to praise that focus often so it continues :)

dawnandjr 01-17-2014 07:54 AM

Great handler focus and attention. That is what people strive to get in their dogs. Not all dogs have that great focus. Some breeders try to get that natural handler focus to come out in their puppies. You have a puppy that is very willing to please and will be a joy to train and compete with. Wait til you are getting nothing but blue ribbons in competitions. Other competitors dred seeing you entered. Its GREAT! LOL

lhczth 01-17-2014 09:30 AM

Looks totally normal to me. :)

Liz&Anna 01-17-2014 10:34 AM

Thank you!!! can a dog be to focused??

She is alllll most 5 months. I'm definitely going to compete with her, I was warned by my OB trainer not to let any one get rough with her during bite work. (I do bite work with a sport protection club but they are mainly PSA guys my OB trainer Is a schutzhund trainer) he says that Anna's drive is so high she could easily be put over the top and become unmanageable.