German Shepherds Forum banner

New trick/command ideas?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Mishka&Milo 
#1 ·
Mishka is 10 weeks old, and I have already taught her sit, stay, speak, shake, lay down, down on one side, spin, and crawl. She can also do all of those with added distractions. I want to work on heel, but I'm not sure if she is too young. I've trained other dogs, but she seems to have a will to learn like no other I have had.... And I'm running out of things to teach a puppy...Any ideas on more commands?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Mishka is 10 weeks old, and I have already taught her sit, stay, speak, shake, lay down, down on one side, spin, and crawl. She can also do all of those with added distractions. I want to work on heel, but I'm not sure if she is too young. I've trained other dogs, but she seems to have a will to learn like no other I have had.... And I'm running out of things to teach a puppy...Any ideas on more commands?

Here's a stupid pet trick that might be fun to teach
her.

SuperG

#4 ·
If you haven't already...incorporate hand signals for all the commands she already responds to per your verbal commands.

Also, teach her from a distance to perform all her maneuvers...such as a down/wait...walk away 10-20 yards and on her recall have her, per your verbal/hand signal go back to a down halfway back to you. Getting a dog to stop dead in it's tracks and lay down via a hand signal might be the best thing you ever teach your dog if you see a potential hazard to her well being coming her way.....i.e. a car under way.

Your success with Mishka is once again refreshing to hear about as it shows how incredibly smart a GSD is.

Keep it up,

SuperG

#10 ·
Now maybe work on all of these things from/in different places and positions. Will she do all of them when you are laying down? What about if you are sitting in the bathtub? If you climb a tree, does she still do them? Can she do all of them in every room you have? What about in a store where dogs are allowed? How about a loud parking lot? The more you proof everything your dog knows in a wide variety of situations, the more she is likely to generalize and always follow the commands.

Also, she's not too young to learn to heel, though I'd keep it short and upbeat, not expecting her to heel for long periods of time etc. You can also work on her recall like mad - under every single circumstance, over and over and over, because it's an important one. And Leave It is another great one, and you can keep working up to more and more tempting items. My Lab would leave a full juicy steak alone if I set the plate on the floor, and only go for it if I released her. Also, if you are clicker training, try shaping things, it's mentally exhausting for the pup.

#11 ·
please post a video.

>>>>> Mishka is 10 weeks old, and I have already taught her sit, stay, speak, shake, lay down, down on one side, spin, and crawl. She can also do all of those with added distractions.<<<<<

I want to work on heel, but I'm not sure if she is too young. I've trained other dogs, but she seems to have a will to learn like no other I have had.... And I'm running out of things to teach a puppy...Any ideas on more commands?

#15 ·
Here are some ideas. Still too young for most of it, but you can start shaping things now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.