Training the heir command and sitting close - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

Default Training the heir command and sitting close

We started doing a basic puppy class as Titan is a little over 4 months. 3 weeks in I realized he needs more than that, so we checked out a local schutzhund club and are doing a 6 week course and at the end if he has what it takes we will join the club and continue.
At the regular puppy class she had us teach for the dog to sit anywhere around you.
Well now I need to retrain him to sit close and we are having a difficult time getting him close on the heir. He will get within a foot and sit.
I back pedal a few steps and bring the treat into my stomach an hold it there and he won't get close enough he just sits about a foot away.
Also, with the fuss, I try to get him turned around behind me and he either looses interest, thinks I dropped the hot dog, or when he does the complete fuss, will sit facing me.
I'm using chicken hot dogs but I'm thinking maybe getting a higher reward. Maybe doing some beef liver or heart cooked.
Also, we have him clicker trained but obviously need to get him off the clicker because it can't be used in competition. Could that be throwing him off?
Any advice is appreciated.
I'm in call this weekend and can't make it to training so we have our little puppy class tomorrow and I have 2 weeks to get this right before our next class.
I also am setting a track before doing OB. Should I wait 15-20 mins and then do 5-10 min of OB.
DTS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd backtrack and make sure this is really less formal.

Also, sit on the ground for awhile. You need to have way more treats way more often just for being with/on you.

Need to have a good background with engagement before you can do the best 'training'

Introducing: Hob Nob Helo (9 Weeks Old!) on Vimeo

Also, have you gotten all this stuff down --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

good luck...remember, get down on the ground initially!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I'd backtrack and make sure this is really less formal.

Also, sit on the ground for awhile. You need to have way more treats way more often just for being with/on you.

Need to have a good background with engagement before you can do the best 'training'

Introducing: Hob Nob Helo (9 Weeks Old!) on Vimeo

Also, have you gotten all this stuff down --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

good luck...remember, get down on the ground initially!
Make that puppy miss a meal or two and he will likely get a whole lot more interested..worked for me.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
Also, with the fuss, I try to get him turned around behind me and he either looses interest, thinks I dropped the hot dog, or when he does the complete fuss, will sit facing me.
I'm using chicken hot dogs but I'm thinking maybe getting a higher reward. Maybe doing some beef liver or heart cooked.
Also, we have him clicker trained but obviously need to get him off the clicker because it can't be used in competition. Could that be throwing him off?
Any advice is appreciated.
I'm in call this weekend and can't make it to training so we have our little puppy class tomorrow and I have 2 weeks to get this right before our next class.
I also am setting a track before doing OB. Should I wait 15-20 mins and then do 5-10 min of OB.
I would continue with the clicker, that can be faded after the dog knows the positions and commands. You won't be trialing for a looonng time!

I wouldn't allow the pup to take food from the floor unless it is on a target plate. That way the pup won't be searching out dropped food. If you accidentally drop some, pick it up immediately so pup won't get in that habit. We use target plates alot, they are great training tools.

Engagement is so important, get your puppy into you and want to be with you so the interest isn't lost. I agree, drop the 'formal' and work on engagement. Do you do any perchwork/rear end awareness at home? I'd do that right now too, while your puppy is still small in structure.
We do a lot of restrained recalls with pups this age....recall is so important to learn.
As far as tracking, it is always best to put the pup up for at least a 1/2 hour between sessions so the pup can process what was learned. I wouldn't run a track or do scent boxes and then go right to obedience, puppy brain needs a break!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The command is 'Hier'.

In German, ie is pronounced ee and ei is pronounced i. In 'hier', the r is soft and is not very audible. More like Heea. Most, but not all 'r's are enunciated well back in the throat with the back of the tongue just grazing the top of the rear of the mouth.

It is were a lot of the rolling 'r's are sounded when they are audible. As in Retchs, or right as in direction of travel.

This concludes your German lesson for today.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Last edited by MichaelE; 01-14-2014 at 11:30 AM.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

this is what how I taught close fronts/sitting at heel.

For close fronts, sit in a chair, legs spread apart, and lure him right into you. Even if he stands at this point, as long as he comes in close. then lure into the sit..

I normally work against a wall of some sort (wall on your left with just enough space that he can come around you and go between you/wall..

I lure (right in front of his nose) around stop at the position you want..If you want him to stop from going right in front of you..put a chair/something to block him from going any further than the sit on your left position..

Anyhow, that's what I have done in the past, and works well...of course you phase out the wall/chair/ after your getting good results.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
As in Retchs, or right as in direction of travel.
The German word for right is "rechts," not "retchs."

Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

that's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post

It is were a lot of the rolling 'r's are sounded when they are audible. As in Retchs, or right as in direction of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post

Thanks. I missed that.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.