new pupy potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new pupy potty training

Hi guys I am gonna get my new gsd pupy next month.he will be 2.5 months old.i study at university. I have several questions for you and if you can answer them ill be apriciated.

1-I study at university so I wont be able to watch it for potty while I am away so I am thinkingg indoor training. Will it be a problem? Play pens will be able too keep gsd? Or shouldi use something else?

2-I am scared of hip problems. Ill buy it from good breeder but every body says on the Internet you cant run and walk with you pupys because if you do you will have hip problems. So how my pupy will do exercise? They are so energetic dogs and if I wont run and walk with them how they will be relaxed and got away from their energies?
emalper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default anyone

Does anyone can help to me?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

1. How long are you away per day?

2. Start with walking. No jumping. Play tug, no running for long distance and no running on hard surfaces like roads, stay on dirt and grass.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I know from our experience.....
Potty training is a full time job for the first month....we did crate and potty training combined. We would take the puppy out of the crate and straight outside! Their feet would not touch the floor for the first two days when doing this...sit them in the grass....after they went potty, we would play for about 15 mins, take them back outside, return them to the kennel....for the first two weeks this was done every 3 hours! Except after eating....their food seems to go right through them as puppy's. After the first two weeks, the third and fourth week, we moved it to four hours....! Same thing at night....we set them alarm to match the day schedule. Not sure if this was the best way, but we never had accidents in the house and we had two puppy's. So it worked for us!

Running with the pup...we read and were told it was safer to just play and do ball chasing when they were young. After 8-9 months short slow jogs around the block once or twice and after a year old they are able to start training but do it slow and steady....a mile for a couple of weeks, then two, so on and so on.

I can't tell you this is exactly how you should do it, but how we were told! It has worked well for us but others on this site may have better suggestions for you!

Good luck with your puppy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi I away about 4-5 hours per day
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalper View Post
Hi I away about 4-5 hours per day
That's no problem BUT YOU NEED TO BUY A CRATE and do crate training. So much easier for you AND the puppy. Keep the crate beside your bed at night and remember it's a safe haven for a puppy not a horrible 'cage'.

Click and read up ---> What is crate training (why put my puppy in a cage?)

You may want to also look at shelters and rescues for a great pup. If you get your name on the waiting list for a good puppy (with the puppy guarantees/warranties) you should be ok for any hip problems but also expect to pay at least $1000 for the puppy. ---> How to find a puppy!

No PET STORES! Remember the more you know about the breeder the better breeders will recognize that and allow you to get one of their puppies (or not).

Be a big help to also find all the training places in your area and what type of classes they teach so you can be ready to attend with your new puppy and get the best start. GSD puppies MUST be out and about to get socialized and trained the first year or we owners may end up with big behavioral issues down the line.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.