General Advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default General Advice?

So I've had my purebred Shepherd, Brady, for almost 2 weeks now. He is 9 weeks old. Does anyone have any good training tools or tips I should know of to try with him? Right now his biggest problem is peeing/pooping in my house and his biting. That's all normal, I've had dogs before but never a Shepherd. So I'm just looking for some guidance on what people have used with their pups. Thanks!
Bradygsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

take your pup out often. when our pup came home at
9 weeks old he was out every 15 minutes. every 15
minutes led to every 25 minutes and every 25 minutes
led to every 40 minutes and so on.

overnight he was out every 2 hours, then every 3 hours
and so on. from 4 months old to 8 months old our pup
would wake one of us up at 4am to go out. we never
refused him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will try this, but with my work schedule sometimes it's tough. Also it's only me taking care of him. I work 11 pm-9 am shifts so I guess I'll just have to get myself up when he needs it.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradygsd View Post
I will try this, but with my work schedule sometimes it's tough. Also it's only me taking care of him. I work 11 pm-9 am shifts so I guess I'll just have to get myself up when he needs it.

It might be in your best interests to make every effort to facilitate your dog as doggiedad suggested. It may seem like a sacrifice on your behalf today....but in short order you will be repaid handsomely.

As far as the biting goes; there are many posts and good information regarding this stage and I am certain if you search through the forums sections you will find an ample amount of information to help you with this temporary annoyance. I've never had a GSD that didn't start off that way.

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

At 9 weeks, your pup can not go that long without being let outside. He will have accidents. Is it possible you can have a walker come in during that time, or a friend babysit overnight while you are at work?
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradygsd View Post
I work 11 pm-9 am shifts so I guess I'll just have to get myself up when he needs it.
That would be best. The fastest, most efficient way to housebreak a puppy is to prevent as many accidents as possible, which means that whenever he's out of his crate you're watching him (and "watching" means that he's within sight!), and that he's in his crate when you can't actively supervise. Also, because he's so young, he shouldn't be in his crate without a break for too long. How long depends on the puppy - I've had one that only needed to go out during the night 3 times from 10 weeks on and then was sleeping through the night after that, and I've had others that needed to get up once or twice for several weeks or longer.

You are using a crate, yes? If so, is it right next to your bed when you're sleeping? Some people set an alarm and get up to let puppy out a couple of times, but I just let the puppy tell me when they need to go. If puppy wakes up and starts fussing, I get up and rush it out immediately. You can carry him or snap on a leash while he's still in the crate and then run him out, so he doesn't have a chance to stop and squat along the way. Keeping him tethered to you when you're not sleeping is a good way to prevent him from wandering off and peeing somewhere.

Also, when you do take him out, encourage him to go (I say "go potty", some people use "hurry up"), and then praise enthusiastically and give a little treat when he does. You want to heavily reinforce that going outside is GOOD. Even after he's reliably doing his business outdoors it's a good idea to continue praise and treats for a while longer. I wouldn't consider him fully housebroken until it's been a few weeks or a month or so since his last accident in the house. Once he grasps the concept he should start alerting you that he needs to go out, but until then, don't expect him to do that.

There's a sticky thread about puppy biting, and I believe it's in the "tips" section too. Read that for ideas. Have you signed him up for a puppy class yet?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, I am crate training him and he is already doing very well with it. I let him have a chew toy while he is in there to help with his teething. Also, I do have roommates but since our schedules are usually a little different, I can usually have someone there to take him outside at night. As for when I sleep, he sleeps in bed with me. He knows to wake me up when he needs to go outside. The only issue I am having with potty training is sometimes he just walks to the door and doesn't actually make any noise to let me know, but 90% of the time I see him and take him out, and he gets plenty of praise when he goes outside. He gets mouthy when he starts playing but what I have been doing is replacing my hand with a toy and it works pretty well.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Also, I forgot to answer the puppy class question. I want him and I to go through a class, but being that I'm not actually from where I live right now, (military) I'm not sure where to go. What are everyone's views on PetSmart classes?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hang some kinda jingle bell on the door knob. Ring it each time you take him out to use the bathroom. Show him the bell and teach him to associate it with going out to potty. Not sure something like that would wake you up, just a thought. German Shepherds learn quick so I am sure it would not take him long to learn to jingle the bell when he needs to go out.
Bman0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.