Getting aggressive early - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting aggressive early

My nearly 11 week old GSD is starting to get a little bit more aggressive than initially anticipated. He has been going for pants, shirts, coats while my wife or I are wearing them (already ripped through a few). He is also now starting to bite his lead and growling a bit.

Nothing to the scale of him biting intentionally to hurt, I am just a little surprised this side of aggression is coming out at this age. I expected a little older.

Anything that I should be concerned about? Are there some tips to try to keep him on the calmer side? For instance I need to keep him on a short lead as he is lunging for my pants, and he can do this for minutes. If he does latch on I usually get him to break and then I will hold him down for a few seconds trying to calm him. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not (50/50).
LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

i would say it's play, not aggression. GSD puppies can play ROUGH. Keep redirecting to toys and be sure to tire him out. That will calm down the monster a bit.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should be giving him something else to do, instead. He has drive that he has nothing to outlet it with.

Play tug with him frequently, pull out toys or treats and ask for some sits, downs, hand touches, etc. It's totally normal. My puppy is going through the same thing currently @ 11 weeks if he isn't being engaged and is full of it.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our Lucy is 14 weeks now and seems to be coming out of an aggressive stage a bit, as well. We still battle it sometimes, but a spray bottle with about a 1:10 mixture of vinegar/water seems to be an effective deterrent to biting. It's incredibly frustrating, especially as our only other dog is a Lab who's as easy going as we could've ever hoped. I have several close friends with GSD's and they do all assure me that Lucy is completely "normal" and otherwise healthy. Their GSD's are all adults and are AMAZING, so I have new faith that Lucy will turn out even better. :-)
SirLancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Danielle, give the puppy an outlet for the oral while exercising that sponge of a brain. This is the time pups are soaking up everything(hopefully not a spray of vinegar water).

I'd much rather engage, teach and enjoy this age than supress their personality.
Teething begins around 14 weeks so tugging should be done carefully or not at all during that time.
Get some nice fresh beef knucklebones for chewing, it really does help the pup when they have something to gnaw on.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
My nearly 11 week old GSD is starting to get a little bit more aggressive than initially anticipated. He has been going for pants, shirts, coats while my wife or I are wearing them (already ripped through a few). He is also now starting to bite his lead and growling a bit.

Nothing to the scale of him biting intentionally to hurt, I am just a little surprised this side of aggression is coming out at this age. I expected a little older.

Anything that I should be concerned about? Are there some tips to try to keep him on the calmer side? For instance I need to keep him on a short lead as he is lunging for my pants, and he can do this for minutes. If he does latch on I usually get him to break and then I will hold him down for a few seconds trying to calm him. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not (50/50).
All advice given has been spot on. I just wanted to point out that there shouldn't be an expectation of aggression at ANY age (unless you're dealing with a sport or working dog, and then the term means something a little different).
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.