German Shepherds Forum banner

Doorbell for doggy to tell us he has to potty?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Baillif 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with using a doggy doorbell for house training? I don't mean the christmas type (sleigh bells) that you hang on the front door, I mean an actual electronic chime type device that you teach the dog to touch when he has to go outside. It's the same concept as the sleigh bells, but my dog happens to go crazy with sleigh bells. He loves them and thinks they are the greatest toy ever. Therefore, completely useless to me as a training aid since it completely distracts him from anything to do with potty. He wants to rip them off the door and chase them around the house until they are dead. LOL. He's doing great with house training, but only if I catch him and bring him out in time. He does not bark, scratch or door or do anything else that is an indicator for me that he has to go out. He will be 11 wks old on Friday. Maybe he's still too young to give me the message that he has to go potty? At any rate, let me know your thoughts on this.

#5 ·
Get it, use it. Has to let you know some how! Look up some other videos on clicker training on youtube. Puppies start the potty training process as soon as they are born, we humans untrain it.

#8 ·
If you use it make sure every-time you do take him out you make the process as sterile as possible. Out to potty and that is it. No play time no stopping to sniff every tree or eat grass or chase squirrels. When the dog is taken out for those things then you can make it fun or make sure you make playtime inside just as entertaining. That will generally keep the dog from abusing the ever living crap out of the bell.

#12 ·
The bell saved me a ton of accidents when my last puppy was learning. He would ring that bell sometimes 15 minutes after having been outside and I would think there's no way hes gotta go already, but I'd humor him anyway and usually sure enough he went to the bathroom. I did ween him off it as he got older, which involved a little door scratching which had to be corrected, but it eventually evolved into whining at the door out of frustration which is good.

I would put the dogs bathroom stuff on command. Every time the dog is in the act of going to the bathroom just keep repeating whatever command you want to use, and eventually the dog will go on the command. Then what you do is you take the dog out every time before you train with food or toys or play with the puppy and the puppy learns the pottying has to be done quickly in order to have fun. If the puppy doesn't go to the bathroom the puppy gets crated without fun time or training time.

It is a great way to get them to get that stuff done quickly and is great for those times when its raining outside or freezing and you don't want to be out long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.