Puppy not excited to do training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Puppy not excited to do training.

I read an article and get motivated. I'm super excited to train my puppy these new tricks!

Did not walk him yet, and the weather is icky right now so not walking him today.

I'd expect him to be super hyper. I walk through my door and he's sleeping. It's fine, because he wakes up when he heard the door close!

I go downstairs to refill his water bowl in the kitchen and he slowly walks down, like sleepily.

It's hours from then (2:11pm now) and he's still so calm!!! He's sleeping at this moment!
He is 6 months old and knows a few commands: sit, paw, bite (bites the air where I direct him), up (jump, most often jump on me), and sort-of down (I move my hand towards me as I do "paw" and he goes into down position). Also he knows the command "speak" but almost never do it - he looks away when I do the command.

I have this medium sized chair that he can crawl through (He did it before) and wanted to teach him to go under, over, around, etc. I start by sitting opposite side from him, and call him over. He went to sleep and still sleeping as of right now. Is he depressed?

Nothing changed in schedule, or anything in the house. He's so extremely calm except when his brother is around. But I have tried training them while together - did not end well. They were too focused on chasing each other.
lemonbalm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

UPDATE: It's 11:19 pm right now and all day (except when playtime with brother) he was very, very calm. I also noticed that today I worked on my posture (shoulders back, stand up straight, chip up). Could this contribute to his pococurante expression and attitude today? I've read somewhere that if they know you can handle things then they are more content.

Also (forgive me if I ask too much, I am new to owning a dog) is 12 hours a day of contact with me enough for him (including sleeping near me - I sleep from 10 pm to 5 am). The other 12 hours are with his brother while I'm at school.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

So when you are out all day, he is playing with your other dog?

That would explain it It sounds to me like he is getting all his exercise and social time during the day with your other dog. So when you come home he is tired and since he has had his fun all day, there might not be enough of a reason to have fun with you.

I would try separating him during the day for a while, so that he can interact with you and do some training in the evenings. Then maybe once a week, when you have a busier evening maybe, he can be left with your other dog during the day.

Hope this helps!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks N Smith!

I will try to find some reasons for my dog to find me more fun than his brother... running around (outside) our house is all fun and games until he catches up (really quick) then jumps and bites me. That game never continues too long (doesn't get idea that every time he bites I stop). I'm not that much of a fun person so I'm going to find a way to separate them with little destruction
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Make training fun. If your dog is smart training becomes boring. Just like kids at school.
The more my girl learns the harder I make her training. I always keep it challenging for her. So she doesn't get bored. My girl loves to please. She loves getting that deer meat at the end.
So I know she's game for whatever gets thrown at her.
If your dog is just confused. My girl started out that way when she was just a baby. Id try and she just couldn't figure it out. So I took snail steps with her. Now she's my hunting dog my fishing buddy a guardian at home. Always down for new things. Its the dedication you show first. Then you will see the dedication you recieve

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If the lethargy is unusual for your pup, I'd consider a vet visit or maybe take his temp & then call the vet to see what they think. If his lack of interest/enthusiasm for training is typical, then the suggestions people have given are spot on. I'm just concerned that this is unusual behavior & he may not be feeling well.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.