German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Is there an average crate training time? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/391954-there-average-crate-training-time.html)

MrsFergione 01-06-2014 09:33 AM

Is there an average crate training time?

Our 9 week old male came home 2 days ago. He was with 2 sisters as the breeders still, one left the night before we picked him up, and one the same morning, so he's never been alone before. He's not ALONE, we have a female 8 month old shepherd, but crate wise. How many days/weeks is typically average for them to not cry all night in the crate? Our female was older (14 weeks) when we brought her home so she only cried 2 nights and it wasn't the entire night. Our two smaller dogs were different, they were bottle fed by us from 7 days old and were in the bathroom and then transitioned to the crate sometime after they were a month old. They also cried for 2 or 3 nights, but they also had each other so it wasn't all night long.

Anyway, both nights he has cried the ENTIRE night. I'm not complaining, I know this comes along with getting a new puppy, but I was just wondering if it's going to abruptly stop or if he will cry less and less. The other dogs just suddenly didn't care anymore after a few days. But they also didn't cry the entire night, just a few hours. I let him outside to go bathroom, the first night he did not the first time, and did the second time. Last night he went both times. That only seemed to help for maybe 30 minutes, so I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to make it easier for him since it's not solely needing to potty. I've also only had females so maybe males are just different :)

LaRen616 01-06-2014 09:41 AM

All puppies are different.

Some puppies take to their crate right away and never have an issue. That would be my Sinister. :wub:

Some puppies take a while to adjust to their crate, they tolerate it but they don't really like it.

Some puppies hate the crate and no matter how long they stay in there, they will scream, bark, whine and body slam the crate trying to get out. That would be my Draco. :crazy:

MrsFergione 01-06-2014 09:44 AM

Yep he seems to be the latter! Our female cried for quite awhile the first night, the second night she actually didn't make a sound. We live on post right next to the airfield, so the third night there was a large plane landed idling so they third night she whined for awhile because I think the noise was a little scary for her, but that was the last time she ever made a noise. But she was also 5 weeks older than him at the time and I think her kennel with her brother and sisters was outside at that breeder. Hopefully he at least gets a LITTLE better in the next few days, I'd love to get a little sleep before school starts again :) haha

LaRen616 01-06-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsFergione (Post 4781010)
Yep he seems to be the latter! Our female cried for quite awhile the first night, the second night she actually didn't make a sound. We live on post right next to the airfield, so the third night there was a large plane landed idling so they third night she whined for awhile because I think the noise was a little scary for her, but that was the last time she ever made a noise. But she was also 5 weeks older than him at the time and I think her kennel with her brother and sisters was outside at that breeder. Hopefully he at least gets a LITTLE better in the next few days, I'd love to get a little sleep before school starts again :) haha

Good luck to you! I was so tired and I didn't want to hear him cry all night so I let him sleep in my bed and that was that! He slept in my bed every night up until he turned 6 months old, now he sleeps on a dog bed with my GSD next to my bed. :)

Sp00ks 01-06-2014 10:25 AM

I can't directly answer your question because I don't think there is a concrete answer, as previously stated, all dogs are different. However, I can share our recent experience. New pup New Years day. Most of the siblings were still with the breeder, No prior crate experience, etc.

We have him in a 38" crate. I did not want to try and divide it. He has bedding and about 3 stuffed animals in the crate with him at all times. The crate is right beside our bed. I lay my house clothes over it in hopes he will notice my scent. I also put my socks in front of the crate just out of reach for the scent. I don't know if any of that makes any difference but I want him to know my scent as we are currently bonding, bonding, bonding.

This is our first male dog, all others have been female.

1st night, he cried for quite a while, not all night. He woke up about 2:30am and started crying. I sat on the side of the bed until he settled down, then we went out and pee'd. He woke me again at 6:30 am. I sat on the edge of the bed until he stopped crying, we went out and pee'd and pooped.

2nd night, He cried for 10-15 minutes, then settled down. He cried a little sometime in the night and I fell back asleep on him. He cried again about 6am, when he settled, I let him out and we pee'd and pooped.

3rd night, He whimpered a little, settled down and woke me about 6:30am.

Each day I have been putting him in the crate when I shower because I can't watch him. Blood curdling cries each time but settles down in a few minutes. Today when I crated him for my shower, silence. When I got out and got my socks on, which is always a challenge if he is in the room, I opened the crate door and he laid in there 5-10 more minutes before he came out.

I have to say this is probably the easiest crate train I've done, the last dog was pretty darn good but I think Dagr has been just a little easier.