German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting him to NOT sleep in his kennel.

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Courtney_Chambers 
#1 ·
So CJ is almost 8 months now and soon he will be too big to spend the night in his kennel (at least in my opinion). However that's where he has slept from day one and he won't calm down in our bedroom if he isn't in there.

Every once and a while he will sleep in our bed but he will either make it for only 3 hours and wake up or he won't sleep there if my husband is in the bed. He want him to sleep on his bed or with us, but he likes his kennel so much. I don't want to take it away because I know it's his safe spot but it's going to get cramped in there soon. It's the biggest size we could find.

Just looking for any tips you might have if you've been through this before! Thanks in advance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Get him a crate that fits. Some dogs just love them, why take them away? My pup wasn't crate train when we adopted him and we had to train him so he could go to daycare, and he's more comfortable in there now than not. We found our 48" crate used on craigslist for $20; they don't always need to be expensive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
Another vote for Craigs List, both crates we have - XL - was found on there - one $50, the other $65.

side note - If you are looking at a wire crate, and the pan is damaged beyond use or missing, the replacement - last time I checked anyhow - averaged $35

#6 ·
if he wants to sleep in his crate, why not allow him to just sleep with the door open? my guy has a 48" crate downstairs which is more than enough space for him. Upstairs he has a 46" that he's perfectly comfortable in.

#8 ·
I'd just make sure there was a good dogbed IN the kennel and that the door is open for a week or so (you may already be in that situation). There are dog beds with sides that may work best because they have sides.

Then one day pull the bed out of the crate, collapse it and put it away, and put the dog bed in EXACTLY the same place the crate has been. May want to have an exceptionally well stuffed kong/purple squirrel dude for the first few nights :)

#11 ·
I have almost the same issue with my golden who is about the same age. Tonite was the first time he has ever fell asleep outside of his crate. He is full of energy and doesn't slow down. I have to put him in the crate to rest or he won't. I have tried letting him sleep with me at night numerous times and I can't get him to sit still for 5 minutes. He doesn't want to be in the crate, at night he tries going yo the bedroom. I feel bad for him, but I can't get him to settle down. He gets plenty of exercise and small obedience sessions throughout the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.