How do I train 'front'? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Default How do I train 'front'?

I am having trouble with this. I've been luring him from any direction to sit in front of me and then "yes! good front!" and treat.

My problem is I dont think he really understands what I want though. How do you all train this? I tried looking for videos.

Also, how do you get a dog to sit really close to you in front? I have seen some competitions where the dog sits up close facing the handler, almost touching. Mine sits way back from me, if I move in closer he just backs up... I tired luring him in, but perhaps because of the long body, when he sits he is again way back from me.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

it is not black and white the way you are doing it. you have to start at the beginning...for any exercise, you start by breaking it down into small components

does he know down? Do you have a marker word or use a clicker? put him in a down. Stand toe to toe in front of him. Lure him with food into a sit, saying here or front or what ever command you will use for a recall. Reward the sit/front with ONE word or click and food....not a string of words...being close to him at the beginning will teach him to be close. Repeat, repeat, repeat - muscle memory.

I am sure there are other ways - I like this one..

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
it is not black and white the way you are doing it. you have to start at the beginning...for any exercise, you start by breaking it down into small components

does he know down? Do you have a marker word or use a clicker? put him in a down. Stand toe to toe in front of him. Lure him with food into a sit, saying here or front or what ever command you will use for a recall. Reward the sit/front with ONE word or click and food....not a string of words...being close to him at the beginning will teach him to be close. Repeat, repeat, repeat - muscle memory.

I am sure there are other ways - I like this one..

Lee

great! I was wondering how to teach the end behaviour when he wont sit close enough. Thank you.

Yes, he knows down.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I teach the front by luring. I get the puppy/dog driving my hand for food while I back up. When I'm ready, I stop moving, feet slightly spread apart(fade out feet later), say command and bring the dog into a sit. Be sure to stand straight up and not leaning over the dog. When rewarding, I always reward into me or behind me. Never behind the dog and I never bring the reward to the dog. That can drive the dog backwards.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

you doing this too?

Really important...the initial engagement discussion but even more important is the 'sit' at 3:35 with pup rocking back...

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I started with the command "come front" which meant my pooch had to end up sitting directly in front of me with her muzzle darn near in my crotch. And I always stood, never kneeling or stooping over. "Come front" is reserved for a very specific ending position with my gal since the commands "come" and "let's go" are reserved for other actions off leash.

I believe I was able to accomplish the "come front" successfully by using a training lead and a super premium treat held close to my body, where I wanted her to eventually sit in front of me. Between gentle guidance with the training lead, treat and positive verbalizations if she didn't come close enough I would never move towards her but just the opposite and she never received her treat or reward until she was where she needed to be.

Of course, I always took advantage of meal time, it's simply amazing what your pooch will do for you when you have their filled food bowl in your hand. Have your boy execute a "come front" at meal time. My cadence using the food bowl lure would be " ..come front ( once her nose was almost in the food bowl in my hand then I would expect her to sit)....annnnnnddd...sit...GOOD girl" Feeding time is a good time to get results but obviously you have to expand on this behavior outside of meal time. Incorporating hand signals with your verbal commands is also a great way to go...and there is no better time than meal time. So, if your concern is that your dog doesn't understand your words than start to use hand signals....but I know you will find he understands both...just a matter of time and consistency.

Another "tool" I used which probably cemented the proper positioning of a "come front" was to use any toy, ball, frisbee, stick etc which she had an over the top affinity for...using these items seemed to have more of an impact than treats. At this point all of this was done off leash of course.

Perhaps, you can take opportunity of your dog's tendency to back up when you move closer to use the command "back" when he backs away from you since he already is doing that....hopefully having the dog associate that movement with the command "back" will make that task all the easier.

Patience, consistency and an understanding that accomplishing small steps ultimately combine to make the big difference or result desired.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Actually before you start asking for the dog to 'come to front'. Lets start even smaller. Sit in a chair (like kitchen or folding) so your face is in closer proximity to the dog. What treats can you stomach? I cant do hotdogs, so I use string cheese. You are going to encourage your dog to come VERY close to you. So close, their chin will be resting on your chest. You will eventually be spitting the treats out of your mouth and to your dogs. This really gets them in close and comfortable with it. Also gets that focused attention on your face (treats coming from your mouth can be used as much as possible in training). I should try and find someone to tape this for me with Yoko and post it. Not sure if you can really understand the exercise when put into words.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Actually before you start asking for the dog to 'come to front'. Lets start even smaller. Sit in a chair (like kitchen or folding) so your face is in closer proximity to the dog. What treats can you stomach? I cant do hotdogs, so I use string cheese. You are going to encourage your dog to come VERY close to you. So close, their chin will be resting on your chest. You will eventually be spitting the treats out of your mouth and to your dogs. This really gets them in close and comfortable with it. Also gets that focused attention on your face (treats coming from your mouth can be used as much as possible in training). I should try and find someone to tape this for me with Yoko and post it. Not sure if you can really understand the exercise when put into words.
Thank you . It will be great if you can make the video. But i do get the picture. You explained very well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
I am having trouble with this. I've been luring him from any direction to sit in front of me and then "yes! good front!" and treat.

My problem is I dont think he really understands what I want though. How do you all train this? I tried looking for videos.

Also, how do you get a dog to sit really close to you in front? I have seen some competitions where the dog sits up close facing the handler, almost touching. Mine sits way back from me, if I move in closer he just backs up... I tired luring him in, but perhaps because of the long body, when he sits he is again way back from me.
Jinx has the same problem, she is the only dog I've ever had so this is just an idea. I tried standing in front of a wall and luring her into the gap which I got her to do, but I don't know if you could than transfer that into sitting closer without the wall.

Last edited by Phantom; 12-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the videos Maggie Rose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.