German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Instinct raw bites(frozen) as training treats? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/383690-instinct-raw-bites-frozen-training-treats.html)

Sri 12-18-2013 08:18 PM

Instinct raw bites(frozen) as training treats?

I am just curious if anyone has tried these as training treats. Are they small enough for training, and are they economical? Since our puppy has food and skin allergies I am looking into different options.

Also, would there be a problem mixing kibble or cooked and raw in his diet? The first and only time I mixed raw beef into his kibble he threw up.

MaggieRoseLee 12-19-2013 11:31 AM

Alot of people do a mix of kibble with their chosen diet.

And anything our dogs love to eat and that are small sized can be used for treats! Just watch how you are storing these when training.

Sri 12-21-2013 06:42 AM

Is it true though that if you mix kibble and raw at the same time a lot of dogs will throw up? I heard this is because raw processes faster and the kibble will just sit in their stomachs rotting in the meantime.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Angelina03 12-21-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sri (Post 4706002)
Is it true though that if you mix kibble and raw at the same time a lot of dogs will throw up? I heard this is because raw processes faster and the kibble will just sit in their stomachs rotting in the meantime.

"Rotting"??

Sri 12-21-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelina03 (Post 4706146)
"Rotting"??

Thats what our trainer told me :). So I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. Specifically about feeding kibble mixed with raw at the same time.

wolfy dog 12-21-2013 03:12 PM

I made my own treats yesterday: plain cheerios in a bowl and pour on melted bacon grease. The cheerios absorb it and they still don't feel greasy. Light weight and super yummy. I know it is not the best diet but once in while it is a good change.

Wild Wolf 12-21-2013 03:20 PM

I actually just bought a bag of the instinct raw bites to use for tracking, and it went super well! Hunter loved them! I love that they stay frozen until I need to use them.

GatorDog 12-21-2013 03:26 PM

I personally don't use frozen raw food for training. It always seems to thaw out before I end up using it and then it's too mushy and nasty for me to use for obedience. Plus, thawed raw food sitting in the car in the summer is nasty, and my cooler only keeps it good for a short while. I'd rather use dehydrated raw treats, but I almost exclusively stick to kibble or Natural balance food rolls.

Angelina03 12-21-2013 09:21 PM

I use the natural balance food rolls. I cute them up into small pieces, potion them in ziplock bags and freeze them until I'm ready to use them. Works great.

Sri 12-21-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy dog (Post 4707810)
I made my own treats yesterday: plain cheerios in a bowl and pour on melted bacon grease. The cheerios absorb it and they still don't feel greasy. Light weight and super yummy. I know it is not the best diet but once in while it is a good change.

:thumbup::thumbup: I don't dare feed him too many cheerios because of his allergies, but great idea. I mixed kibble with chicken fat once and that was good.