Training puppy to not bite while teething - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training puppy to not bite while teething

We just got our first GSD and she is almost 12 weeks. She is a great puppy and crate training well along with the command sit. The one thing I am having a hard time getting across is not biting. She gets hyper and starts grabbing legs, hands, and arms and chewing on them. I know she is teething and we have lots of toys but even putting a leash on her has her chomping at my arm and they are not very soft bites. Not sure how to deal with this behavior. We have 3 children and I need tips or help to get her to not bite as hard as she is and to keep her chewing to toys and not body parts. Any tips for me?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
tammyrcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would not correct it, simply put her in her crate with a toy. Have a toy available to chew on.

It is only a phase, if this does continue after she is some teething then i would begin with the corrections.

Bane Vom Vox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Crate should never be a punishment.

I went to a dermatologist yesterday, he looked at my faint scars on my arms and said and these are from? I told him that nope i was not into cutting myself, but i have a German shepherd puppy. Anyways it's a very awful phase. Keep redirecting to toys, try the yelp (did not work for us), when pup gets crazy walk away or stop playing, play a tree, fold your arms and such it up. There is a good video on this from leasburg puppy training. They talk about the ignoring and redirecting while putting up with the biting pain that wont kill you. Zeus did not stop biting till 5 month and he was brutal! tooth went through my finger =( but this is now all in the past.

another way to snap them out is start training. When Z would go into biting I would say "sit!" he knew a treat was coming and would sit and i would do 2 mins of commands and he would forget all about his previous activities. Use their ADD to your advantage lol
Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

We always just said "no bite!" and walked away/turned away/ignored for a couple minutes. Puppy quickly learned that a bite results in no more play, no more petting or attention.

Also practiced with a treat in an enclosed fist, offer it to the puppy and when he bites say "no bite" until he licks you instead, then give the treat. This worked for us but I imagine does not always work.

Also, "no bite" with a redirect to a toy then praise helped. We did all of these things together and they helped our first pup who was very mouthy!!! Good luck!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok. I don't mind the puppy nipping at me as much as my 3 kiddos. So we keep the gate up until she is calm. I will work with the tips and see what we can get.

tammyrcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The kids probably get crazy too and scream and that gets puppy even more crazy!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes like I said , no corrections , crate isn't a correction just a place to cool off

Bane Vom Vox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.