Help with puppy when he's home alone - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
The best answer, and one that several have repeated is, back to the kitchen.

Then consider that garbage can not be left accessable to dogs until they are 4 or so. And even then it is best not to leave it where they can find it. He's probably attracted to specific books because of your scent on them - perhaps these were the books you most recently read or perhaps you had eaten something before you picked them up? (As smart as I think dogs are, I don't think mine can read just yet.)
They were the books that I read over the course of the summer/fall when I took him to the dog park - maybe they smelled of playtime.
Pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Jake is at that when he can into everyting id avise to get him bones or a kong keeps them busy jake has begain to eat the mat ur not alone

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
loulabelle23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I put Dexter in his crate when i left, he was in his crate because he ate the walls and the carpet...he destroyed alot of stuff, so he got the crate. One day i came home to dexter outside his crate and nothing was damaged i thought it was a fluke, so i put him back in his crate the next day and when i got home Dexy was out of his crate. I sat him down and said "so you are finally ready" after that dexter has never ever gone back in a crate and i could never figure out how he broke out of it!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyobrien3 View Post
I have seen those treat balls, but I am somewhat skeptical that they'll withstand his nibbling. What do you use? I only ask because I've gotten toys for him that are supposed to be tough, or long lasting treats, or both, but I often find they are neither. So, if you had a recommended treat holder that's shepherd-proof, I'd probably try one out.
I have used the Kong Wobbler (large) Wobbler - KONG - this one is really good. Also use Amaze treat ball
Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Treat Puzzler Dog Toy, Large (Colors Vary): Pet Supplies Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Treat Puzzler Dog Toy, Large (Colors Vary): Pet Supplies
. Just put kibble and larger treat foods in and I'm sure he will have a good time working for his food.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

I never had so much as a paper towel chewed up with my Kesler girl who passed away at the young age of eight this past year but with my boy Silas he is a character and if he can reach it, it is fair game. We started putting our trash can in an area that is not accessible even if they were out and about in they house (which only happens when I am home, otherwise they stay in the "puppy" room which has a dog door for access to our fenced in yard). Anyway the main point of my post is our dachshund is almost 8 years old and he cannot be trusted with any type of trash can. He is a Houdini when it comes to them. Acting all innocent and acting like someone snuck in the house and did it then left....LOL. I got smart that that real quick. I took it out of the equation so he does not even have the opportunity.
Heck just last week I took Silas on a walk and came home to hear some scurrying in the laundry room. When I went to investigate Crocky the same one that gets int he trash was up on top of the washer machine trying to figure out how to get in the dog food bag....he decided I left the step stool beside it just for his pleasure...LOL. By the way he is the sweet and innocent one on the bottom right of my avatar.
They are strategic to say the least and sometimes making tempting things like that inaccessible is the best way to start.

As for Silas my GSD I can certainly tell he will mature much later than Kesler our girl did. Fun times ahead

Wow I rambled on this morning! Happy thursday!!

Last edited by Crocky; 12-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Crocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.