High-Drive Puppy...Next Steps? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default High-Drive Puppy...Next Steps?

Hello All,

I have a 5 1/2 mth puppy, Herzen. She's my first GSD and honestly I couldn't be happier. Since we brought her home at 9 wks she's been very energetic (more than normal GSD) scent-oriented. She is from WGSD working lines ans her sire has a SchH scent title and IPO 1. I think she has a lot of these traits...but I'm not an expert. Her favorite game is "find-it" and aside from the normal puppy zoomies and subsequent tug games she is an all-around good girl. (Though initially I might have had a rather rosy view of GSD puppy-hood ).

Her basic training is coming along fabulously and I find she is willing and able to perform tasks comparable to dogs four/five mths older. I'm sure at this point it's not because she's willing to do anything for a Zuke's mini (did I mention she has strong food drive??) but because she can capably handle these tasks. I've used different rewards (tug, etc) for successfully and quickly executing obedience commands and it seems to work just as well.

At this point, since I've never trained/owned a GSD before, should I be looking into other classes to keep her interested? I've thought about nosework and scent training, but what age is best to start? Is she too young for agility classes? I want to keep challenging her mentally and physically, but I don't want to damage her joints. So far she seems happy to play in the yard with her Frisbee or Kong (although it can go on for hours such that I have to put her back into the crate to rest).

Thanks, any opinions would be welcome. Glad to actually find a reason to post at last, instead of being a passive observer!

Last edited by diarmuid957; 12-17-2013 at 02:25 AM.
diarmuid957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nosework, puppy agility, tracking, competition OB, CGC, tons of tricks, lots of stuff you can do. Keep the puppy mentally engaged and learning.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Nosework, puppy agility, tracking, competition OB, CGC, tons of tricks, lots of stuff you can do. Keep the puppy mentally engaged and learning.

David Winners
I'm with David, she's the perfect age for you to be shopping around to find age appropriate classes. The best facilities will be able to recommend best classes they have openings in.

Have fun and take pictures!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She's definintely not too young for anything! Agree with the others about checking out a few clubs/classes in your area (IPO, nosework, agility, obed). She sounds like fun and like she has the drive to do it!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.