German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   High-Drive Puppy...Next Steps? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/382794-high-drive-puppy-next-steps.html)

diarmuid957 12-17-2013 02:20 AM

High-Drive Puppy...Next Steps?

Hello All,

I have a 5 1/2 mth puppy, Herzen. She's my first GSD and honestly I couldn't be happier. Since we brought her home at 9 wks she's been very energetic (more than normal GSD) scent-oriented. She is from WGSD working lines ans her sire has a SchH scent title and IPO 1. I think she has a lot of these traits...but I'm not an expert. Her favorite game is "find-it" and aside from the normal puppy zoomies :wild: and subsequent tug games she is an all-around good girl. (Though initially I might have had a rather rosy view of GSD puppy-hood :rolleyes:).

Her basic training is coming along fabulously and I find she is willing and able to perform tasks comparable to dogs four/five mths older. I'm sure at this point it's not because she's willing to do anything for a Zuke's mini (did I mention she has strong food drive??) but because she can capably handle these tasks. I've used different rewards (tug, etc) for successfully and quickly executing obedience commands and it seems to work just as well.

At this point, since I've never trained/owned a GSD before, should I be looking into other classes to keep her interested? I've thought about nosework and scent training, but what age is best to start? Is she too young for agility classes? I want to keep challenging her mentally and physically, but I don't want to damage her joints. So far she seems happy to play in the yard with her Frisbee or Kong (although it can go on for hours such that I have to put her back into the crate to rest).

Thanks, any opinions would be welcome. Glad to actually find a reason to post at last, instead of being a passive observer! :D

David Winners 12-17-2013 03:27 AM

Nosework, puppy agility, tracking, competition OB, CGC, tons of tricks, lots of stuff you can do. Keep the puppy mentally engaged and learning.

David Winners

MaggieRoseLee 12-17-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4683482)
Nosework, puppy agility, tracking, competition OB, CGC, tons of tricks, lots of stuff you can do. Keep the puppy mentally engaged and learning.

David Winners

I'm with David, she's the perfect age for you to be shopping around to find age appropriate classes. The best facilities will be able to recommend best classes they have openings in.

Have fun and take pictures!

GatorDog 12-17-2013 09:36 AM

She's definintely not too young for anything! Agree with the others about checking out a few clubs/classes in your area (IPO, nosework, agility, obed). She sounds like fun and like she has the drive to do it!