Any of you do traning plans? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Any of you do traning plans?

So after researching tracking yesterday I came across this website Raising a Clicker Puppy -- Training Plans

Thought about doing one with Lola. It'll be good to keep track but also when she's older and well trained it'll be fun to look back on and see how far she's come.

Curious if anyone else has done one and what your thoughts are.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Clicker is same as using a word the is responsive I use yes and a treat type of thing

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
loulabelle23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I found it very helpful in the beginning to write out my training plans because it made me really think clearly about what I wanted, how I wanted to get there, and what the incremental steps along the way would look like. It helped me stay conscious of all the little different aspects that went into getting a final behavior, and just how much I was asking my dog to learn at once.

I don't use them anymore because I've internalized this stuff enough that I don't need to write it out at this point. But when I was still getting a handle on things, it was a huge help.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's an interesting site. I've never done anything that formal, but I can see it being useful. I have started keeping a training log, though, simply because I'm pretty distractible. I tend to get excited about training five new things all at the same time and then fail to work on them consistently, so the training log just keeps me on one path at a time lol. It's not as formal as the one you posted, but I write what commands we worked on, how she's progressing/any issues, and goals for future sessions.

Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

This is me completely! Though I do work her consistently and she knows everything. Just not dependable 100% of the time. I thought maybe a training log would keep me on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bequavious View Post
I tend to get excited about training five new things all at the same time and then fail to work on them consistently,

stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

My friend made me a training plan, once. It was all nicely laid out with our goals for the year and what we needed to work on. I really liked it, and it helped me to focus our training. With it, we got all but one of the things on the list done, but considering there were about four different titles in our plan for 2010, and we achieved 3 and attempted the last with the best of our ability, I definitely wouldn't consider the training plan a failure.

RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
Discoetheque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoetheque View Post
My friend made me a training plan, once. It was all nicely laid out with our goals for the year and what we needed to work on. I really liked it, and it helped me to focus our training. With it, we got all but one of the things on the list done, but considering there were about four different titles in our plan for 2010, and we achieved 3 and attempted the last with the best of our ability, I definitely wouldn't consider the training plan a failure.
Wow sounds like a great friend! I bet with the new year coming up s/he could sell a service like that

Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmcfred View Post
This is me completely! Though I do work her consistently and she knows everything. Just not dependable 100% of the time. I thought maybe a training log would keep me on track
Haha yeah, I work her consistently, just not individual behaviors (though with the training log that problem has almost disappeared). Before, I would read about a new trick or see a YouTube training video of something I thought was cool, and we'd work on it for a week before I got distracted by something else lol. Now I have a section of my log for new things we want to try and the behaviors are all prioritized

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used to write out training plans and results of every session when Raina was a pup. It did help to see her progress and also where she wasn't progressing as fast. I seem to have lost that notebook though because when I went to look for it in the usual place it would be, it was gone. I wish I could go back and read stuff about five years ago training.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.