When does adolescence start? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When does adolescence start?

Dexter is 13 months old, and he's still wonderful. Puppyhood has been a breeze so far. Knocks on wood. I joke that he had a built in adult microchip when we got him and I have thought about cloning him.

I know that with my other dogs adolescent behavior started around the 10 month mark. Nothing major, just the typical testing of boundaries and random disobedience. Dexter has not shown any signs of adolescent (mis)behavior, and I wonder if some dogs just skip that stage or if shepherds take longer to mature than other breeds?

When did your dogs hit adolescence and have you had any dogs that matured without any teenage drama at all?
Sitz&Platz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you socialize, exercise, train and manage them well from puppy hood on, the issues will be minor. In fact it is quite comical if you realize it is adolescence that causes this particular "issue".
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If you socialize, exercise, train and manage them well from puppy hood on, the issues will be minor. In fact it is quite comical if you realize it is adolescence that causes this particular "issue".
It sounds like you did all of the above well and you have a great dog! Just continue the good work, don't just sit on your laurels and back off on the training/socialization. My dogs don't seem to really seem to lay back into their adult personalities until around 3.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My male never went through a stage where he was difficult. He's always been biddable and willing to please(with the exception of training the retrieve/dumbbells) But personality-wise he's always been a very good well mannered dog.
At 4.5 he acts like he did at 1.5.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i don't believe in the "stages". if your dog does something it's
not the "stage". it's he or she isn't trained yet. when your dog
does something when it's 4 yrs old is that the "adult stage"?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think there are stages of growth. The independence phase shows in some dogs, or they become aware of their surroundings.
Some dogs are aware from the get-go. It depends on management and the individual dog. Thresholds also play into the dogs personality.

My female became reactive around 6 months of age(right after her spay) and she became a handful to manage. She isn't a very biddable dog at all, so a bit difficult to train. She has always been a dog that wants to please herself, not her handler!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i don't believe in the "stages". if your dog does something it's
not the "stage". it's he or she isn't trained yet. when your dog
does something when it's 4 yrs old is that the "adult stage"?
I have seen adolescence in all my dogs, no matter how well trained they were as pups. During these times their behavior surprised me but it was minor. Example: I had trained my Malinois to stay on the sidewalk off leash as a pup, which she did well consistently. But at about 8 - 9 months she ignored me and just crossed the street one time and not returning as well either, leaving me embarrassed until it dawned on me that it was her age. So that needed more work, you cannot just wait until that stage passes.
Even though they require more vigilance, it is my favorite life stage, especially with the intact males with all their pooh-ha. I love it when clients call me to help them with their "stubborn" 8 month old dog.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog has been testing his boundaries since we got him when he was three months old. He is six months now and starting to behave more consistently.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree that training is important during all life stages, but there were some changes with my other 2 dogs around the one year mark. Simple things, like disobeying simple commands like sit or taking forever to obey a command. I've never had a dog with major problems, but there was definitely some bratty behavior at times.

I hear people say that GSD don't fully mature until they're 3, thus I was wondering if they develop issues at a later age than some other breeds.
Sitz&Platz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I heard three is the age. Sasha will be two in jan and at times is getting better but her personality is still changing. Still counting down the days 😁

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.