Treats for a 9-1/2 week old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Treats for a 9-1/2 week old?

We just brought home our Puppy this past Monday and so far he's been doing good. Aside from him getting rougher with his play in the evening, landsharking some, he's been excellent most all day long. We re-direct his biting to his toys, try to stay active with him, and take him outside as much as the weather has been allowing (It's been raining and snowing this past week).

I'd like to start attempting some basic training but had a question about treats. What type of treats are best for a GS pup, or are treats at 9-1/2 weeks not a good way to go yet? I don't want to give him anything that may not be good for his digestive system.

We going to start puppy class next week, but I wanted to try some at home first.
Mntneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can use part of his meals as training treats if you want. I would measure out how much I planned to feed, then take part of that and put it in my treat bag. Whatever was left after our short training session would go into the bowl since I always trained prior to feeding.

If you use other treats for training, make sure they are very small, the size of a small pea or less.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I was giving my guy the Pet Botanics Training rewards that you can find at petsmart. I also had bought the mini version, but if you break the bigger ones in half it is the same thing calorie wise. And they are quite small. He does have incentive with them but not over the top. Now that he is three months I might try freeze dried liver with him. I haven't encountered any digestive/stool problems with him eating them.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

For training we use the Zuke's Mini treats. I buy them at Petsmart and they are pretty reasonably priced. I like them because they are already small and a great size for training! Big enough that it keeps them entertained, but not too big.

Jade's favorite are the peanut butter or rabbit flavored ones.

Zuke's® Mini Naturals™ Healthy Moist Miniature Dog Treats Fresh Peanut Butter Formula - Sale - Dog - PetSmart

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've always used either their kibble or dried liver (only use tiny pieces and not too much)

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I second the Zuke's Minis!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Rommel - GSD furball
Cloud, Scarlett, Big Girl, and Jarvis - Red Tail (Colombian/Central American) Boa Constrictors
B&Cgetapup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I take whatever treats I'm going to use, and cut them up into itty bitty pieces to use. Like this:

I will then bag these treats with some of their regular kibble, and alternate between them. The kibble will 'soak up' some of the scent from the stinkier treats, making it even more attractive. I use several different kinds of treats, and when I happen to have time to sit down and relax, I keep my hands busy cutting treats (and add in a bit of training... if the dog is laying calmly without trying to get to the treats, every so often I'll click and toss one over, thus teaching them that relaxing calmly while I'm busy gets treated).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.