Is paper training in x-pen interfering with overall housebreaking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sansa's mom

Smile Is paper training in x-pen interfering with overall housebreaking?

Hello everyone,
I just brought home my 8 week old female GSD puppy four days ago. She is great and really making daily progress on training and being in her crate and so forth. The only problem we are having is potty training.
For a little background, I have had several puppies before, and they were all more or less potty trained within a week or less. My other GSD puppy would stand at the door and alert me by 9 weeks old.
My breeder had a setup where the pups and dam were in a divided enclosure where on one side they had a crate, and the other side a bunch of wood shavings that was their toilet area. I have a similar setup-an exercise pen in my garage with a bed on one side, and a puppy pad with wood shavings on the other side.
I also am crate training her and she does not soil her crate. If we are at work, she goes in the x-pen, if we are home we are either supervising her + taking her outside frequently with treats and praise, or she is in her crate if we are too busy to have an eye on her. Also if we are only going to be gone for an hour or two she is crated.
So back to the problem- she has had about 2-3 accidents per day all around the house and doesn’t seem to be catching on to the outside thing at all. We are always watching her like a hawk, and sometimes we get her outside on time, but other times she gives no warning at all and just squats and pees or poops without sniffing around or anything. She does it so fast we don’t have time to react besides saying “NO!!” and then picking her up and taking her outside. The “NO!” doesn’t interrupt her like it did my other pups, she just keeps going, even if you pick her up (learned that the hard way, gross). A couple of times, I have taken her outside after a meal and she has gone to the bathroom, and then we come inside and she does it again right on the floor.
She poops right on the wood shavings in her x-pen, and also did so with the breeder.
What I am wondering, is if the pooping area in her long term confinement area is interfering with her overall housebreaking? I have read that paper training just makes dogs go everywhere as they do not distinguish between pads vs. carpet or tiles, etc. Is this what is going on here? Is it possible to have a puppy that understands to go outside the majority of the time, unless they are confined?
I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations.
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you, the pup could be confused. She does know to go potty on the wood shavings. Taking some of the wood shavings outside may help her to get the idea. Also if you are not already doing so, a strict schedule where she is taken out at regular times will help. I do think the 2 methods are confusing her and I suggest you decide on one or the other.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

training any dog to pee/poop inside the house is a bad idea
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hello GUEST! (Sansa's mom)
Can you explain how you posted please? Without registering?
There's no way for us to private message you....

Thanks.
Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 12-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will be the odd man out...... Paper training has been around a lot longer than crates and puppy pads.
I have never had a problem using both paper, and go-outside.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

And some dogs just learn faster.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

It should take a week or two to potty train a 8 week old. - I suggest no paper training, if you do that itll take alot longer and youll have accidents.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
It should take a week or two to potty train a 8 week old. - I suggest no paper training, if you do that itll take alot longer and youll have accidents.
Takes me much longer than that to have housebreaking 100%...

If you 'allow' them to go in the house, then you are just making the housebreaking take longer cause you are teaching them something is a-ok fine this month... then NEXT month the exact same behavior (peeing inside the x-pen) is NOT allowed. Training is confusing enough without us adding to it on purpose.

Just crate train OR use baby gates and doors to keep the pup confined in an area YOU are in and can pay attention. Take the pup outside every hour or so. Puppy party when they are good outdoors, vigilance to teach when they are loose in the room with you, otherwise just use the crate.

Good luck!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for the advice.It seems like the general consensus is that I am confusing her by using both methods. So for those of you that work full time and use a long term confinement area such as the kitchen, an x-pen, etc, while you are at work, what do you do during the work week? On a typical day, she is in there for about 6-7 hours at a stretch, I put her in at 8am when I leave for work, and my kids get home at 2-3 and let her out. I can sometimes come home for lunch to let her outside, my husband as well, but the timing is unpredictable, both of us can get stuck in meetings or things like that.

I can't crate her for 6-7 hours (at least, not until she is older), and I know that she will pee/poop on the floor in her x-pen without a doggy toilet, which would make the housebreaking thing even worse.

@ gagsd, you said you have been successful using both. How did you do it?
Sansa's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I agree with you, the pup could be confused. She does know to go potty on the wood shavings. Taking some of the wood shavings outside may help her to get the idea. Also if you are not already doing so, a strict schedule where she is taken out at regular times will help. I do think the 2 methods are confusing her and I suggest you decide on one or the other.
I was actually just saying that yesterday to my husband, that maybe I should put some wood shavings out in the yard for her. I plan on doing that to help her get the message.
Sansa's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.