Puppy only pulls when... help? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy only pulls when... help?

Long time no post, so a photo is in order!

This is Drago, he is 57 lbs and coming up on 9 months. He is our first dog and smarter and more well behaved than we could ever ask for.

The only issue we are coming across is him pulling on his leash HARD. But he only does this when he knows we are going to the car, which almost exclusively means we are going to the dog park. Does anyone have any advice? Is he too young for a pinch collar? He is very ball driven, and when we try and use that to distract him he completely ignores it.

It starts inside, when we start layering up and getting ready to go. He knows the difference between just going for a walk or going out to go potty, and he starts getting all wound up. He also pulls to get into the dog park but for some reason that is more manageable it seems. He does not particularly like being in the car or going for rides, we have taken a few four to six hour drives with him so he is pretty desensitized to it I think.

We go to the park once a day for 30 minutes to 2 hours depending, and give him as much mental stimulation as we can at home. Has anyone had any success with similar situations? I tried to include as much info as I thought was relevant, my apologies for being so wordy.

-Cody
xtramile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Yep they just know when they are going to the dog park! You can not say a word about where you are going, even put on different clothes, act as though you are just going to the shops ---- but they always know the truth

I have had this problem, it took me quite some time, a lot of patience and time to stop her excitability. Try putting him on lead and then relax, when he is relaxed, give the command for heel, if he pulls and carries on, holt and get him to relax again. This sometimes used to take me about 15 minutes but I persevered and most importantly was consistent, and within a about 2 weeks he was walking casually to the car and approaching public areas in a calm manner

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

After you put the lead on did you wait inside until they were calm? Or outside go outside then try and bring them down to normal?

I might be reading into it to much haha.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you ever taken him for a walk and then put him in the car? Dies he do this from the car to the dog park once there?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

He sometimes gets a wild hair when we go on walks and tries to go to the car, but I have not walked him prior with the intention of going to the park afterwords. We will have to try that one. Yes he does pull once out of the car to get in the park. It is not as bad, and he will start to behave for his ball a bit at that point. But it is still something we need to work on.

Most other people just have their dogs off leash from the car to the gate, but I am not comfortable with that. The road is right there and parking is tight so a dog could slip around moving cars too easily.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtramile View Post
He sometimes gets a wild hair when we go on walks and tries to go to the car, but I have not walked him prior with the intention of going to the park afterwords. We will have to try that one. Yes he does pull once out of the car to get in the park. It is not as bad, and he will start to behave for his ball a bit at that point. But it is still something we need to work on.

Most other people just have their dogs off leash from the car to the gate, but I am not comfortable with that. The road is right there and parking is tight so a dog could slip around moving cars too easily.
I agree that he should always be on a leash to. Do you have a yard?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately we do not have a yard. There is plenty of grassy areas in our apartment complex. And that was a deciding factor when we moved here, but there is a very "keep to yourself in your apartment and keep quiet" attitude that we do not care for. We almost feel that if we were to play with him even on his 30' lead that someone would complain about something. That is why we go to a several acre dog park every day
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Unfortunately we do not have a yard. There is plenty of grassy areas in our apartment complex. And that was a deciding factor when we moved here, but there is a very "keep to yourself in your apartment and keep quiet" attitude that we do not care for. We almost feel that if we were to play with him even on his 30' lead that someone would complain about something. That is why we go to a several acre dog park every day
I was just asking because I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to burn some energy before you head out to the dog park. I'm guessing after he is done playing he don't pull?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

That would actually be ideal. We can play tug inside before though. I will have to try that! He really likes tug and it can bring him down a few pegs pretty quick.

No he does not pull at all after the park. I just don't know why he is so motivated to get to the car, once we get inside he will lay down and chew on a toy or something very calmly.

Last edited by xtramile; 12-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
That would actually be ideal. We can play tug inside before though. I will have to try that! He really likes tug and it can bring him down a few pegs pretty quick.

No he does not pull at all after the park. I just don't know why he is so motivated to get to the car, once we get inside he will lay down and chew on a toy or something very calmly.
Because he knows he is going somewhere funYou could just take him for short car rides not to the dog park. Run to the gas station or drive thru. Throw him off a little, so he never knows when he's going to the dog park.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.