Crate training complications - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate training complications

We crate our 9 1/2 month old Abigail at night, and anytime we're not home to supervise. We've done this from the beginning, did transition with the divider etc.

We've kept the crate empty for months, as it helped discourage going in her crate when she was younger. We've slowly tried to re introduce a towel a few months ago which was a fail, she peed. Then today we put a thick pet bed in her crate, and she peed. . . We had just taken her out and she went and we were gone maybe an hour, if even that.

Just not bother with any padding, or ??? I feel bad, as I cannot imagine the hard plastic is comfortable, but I also don't want to deal with cleaning per out of pads and her crate.
Jordan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't put a pad or towel in for now - she is not ready for it. Most dogs are fine with just the crate. I have a couple dogs that absolutely hate padding in the crate and will push it against the crate door so they can just sleep on the floor. Depending on how she was raised, it could be possible the breeder trained her to go on puppy pads - I have a couple that used to pee on dog beds because they were used to going on a pad while they were being weaned. When she is ready for a bed and older, you can introduce one if you like. But till then, let her be in the crate
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

my dog didn't like any bedding in his crate. he was fine laying
on the plastic liner. i think you should be concerned with
why is she peeing in her crate? has she done it more than
once since you started crating her again?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I had one dog that never got a crate mat, cause she'd destroy it for sure.

My others have done fine. Their behavior decides what they get into their crate.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's tough when they learn to use bedding in the crate as a diaper. It is generally the reason I think it is best to go without bedding by default on puppies until they are well past the potty training stage.

They tend to be a bit further past the chew and destroy everything stage too, and if you're like me you tend to let them onto the bed with me a lot and they get some primer on not destroying blankets in that setting before they are trusted with their own set.

When you do move the blankets into the crate you want ones without stuffing inside. Dogs love dissecting stuffing from things. You also want to make sure they have an object that is ok to chew in there too and something they actually like to chew.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl destroyed hers months and months ago. I never got her another one.

She doesn't seem to mind the plastic.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Outside of the crate with bedding/towels, we have no potty training issues. She does not go in the house or her crate otherwise unless sick. Only time she has is a bm, but that's when she was a bit under the weather poor thing. Pee though, we haven't had issues since she was a baby. It just seems so, I don't know, but yes, essentially any bedding inside her crate is used as a diaper.
The breeder had large dog kennels, and puppies had a large human size dog house with hay as bedding, otherwise they had hard ground in the kennel itself, so pee pads as they were strictly outdoors, and they did not use their nest for bathroom time. As for tearing things up, she's really good and sticks to her toys.
Jordan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.