German Shepherds Forum banner

5 German Shepherd pack walk

16K views 143 replies 49 participants last post by  Dainerra 
#1 ·
And to think its taken me 8 1/2 months to get that far with one dog.

#2 ·
Interesting video. What a tight knit group! I liked that the pedestrians and the police did not bother this guy or his dogs, I feel like I draw more attention with my one dog.

I noticed that they do not seem observant like my dog, Molly is constantly scanning the environment.

#11 ·
Hate to be debbie downer but, you can tell by the body language lots of aversive use though. You could easily produce this in a day or two with constant e collar pressure to create velcro dogs. They see the owner as the safezone to avoid the shocks. Effective though.

#12 ·
Hate to be debbie downer but, you can tell by the body language lots of aversive use though.
I thought so too, and when I viewed it full screen you can see the end of the collar sticking up on the dog on the far right when the camera zooms in while they wait at the curb. When the dog turns it's head to the right you can actually see the receiver.

ETA: While it is certainly impressive looking, I have no need to walk my dogs off leash down busy streets next to traffic (not to mention: leash laws!), so I'd rather have nice loose leash skills any day.

#17 ·
It would be way more impressive if all five were looking at his face the tails were up and they were bouncing happily. You can't get that as quickly and it takes a lot more work. This kinda stuff is created so quickly with basic knowledge about e collars it just isn't impressive to people who are in the know. Damned impressive if you haven't seen how fast it works before though.

I'm not saying what hes doing is wrong or barbaric or anything like that, argument is certainly there it is more humane than prong. If you wanted to use e collar in the place of leash that's pretty much how you do it. Could have greatly improved their body language with some +R in there too.

#19 · (Edited)
Am I wrong in thinking they don't seem to be happy dogs? Mine will sniff and look around, but comes back to me when I say 'lets go'. These seem to be scared to step away from the handler so much they are all glued to him. The philosophy of owning a dog is so complicated :(. I can't argue with people who say their dogs are too scared to take a step away from them and that proves their method is right.

#24 ·
I wasn't all that impressed.

I think the person has a form of control on the dogs. And the dogs are paying zero attention to other pedestrians which is good. I guess. But, what would happen if a loose dog ran up to the group. With one dog, or even two you might be able to manage that situation, but what are you going to do with five of them?

We have a leash law in Ohio, but it is written in such a way that if you have the dog under sufficient control that is acceptable. I walk Babs without a leash, and Arwen she could be walked anywhere at any time with no leash. But I wouldn't do two at once without a leash. But then again, they are intact bitches, and while some are ok with each other, why set up a situation where they may decide they are not, and then you have to hike back to the vehicle with two bitches that want to eat each other. No thanks. If I take two, I have muzzles in my pocket and can slap those babies on quicker than you can say EH! No! But what is the fun of taking a walk if you have to muzzle them, or put e-collars on them and shock them.

How do you shock properly when you have five? Master controller and Fido's off hit the third button?

When I walk one dog, I can have a bonding moment with one dog. When I have two out there, it is much less fun, and my awareness has to be much higher.

#25 ·
Maybe he walks the dog with leashes but was using this as a demonstration of the kennel's training. After all I doubt people walk their dog with a camera guy behind them everyday.

#26 ·
Here's his FB page. Very interesting. He has such beautiful dogs.

And I did learn something...pea gravel! I have been trying to decide what to put in my dog yard since they have destroyed the grass and it is now mud. I debated full-on mulch but now I'm thinking gravel.

https://www.facebook.com/GriffinShepherdKennels

#28 ·
if you look at some of the videos on the facebook page, hes walking 6, without any collars at all

#30 · (Edited)
If you practice good collar discipline with stuff like putting it on 15 minutes before any correction and taking it off 15 minutes after any correction you can prevent any of those dogs from becoming collar wise. The collar would have gone onto the least trained 1 or 2 of the group.

Enough time on the dogs you would very rarely have to administer a correction after that, and he would have proofed against distractions and that kind of thing. You don't need to always have the collars on the dogs to get the behavior as long as you took steps to prevent them from becoming collar wise. If you don't take those steps they make the association with the corrections and the collar being on or off.

It's kind of like horses behind an electric fence. You only have to keep it on till they stop trying to test it, and then you can keep it off until you get a new horse.

#31 ·
It made me sad to watch it. I couldn't watch the entire thing. Not a goal I'd strive for. Seemed like the handler was only seeking glory and the dogs were paying the price.

#76 ·
Several months later, this still seems to be the agenda of the handler. I hope the sheeples fall away and the support wanes...dogs deserve better.

#32 ·
I only saw three minutes of it before my player crashed, but I hated the way the dogs were crushed into him. It isn't natural. Sorry. It would be like walking through a hip deep slurry.

I have seen u-tubes of the guy with all the fox hounds, and that was a lot more relaxed. This wasn't relaxed. Not one of those dogs were exuding confidence. No, if I was a mugger, I would find an easier mark, but I dunno. It really doesn't do anything for me.

This u-tube impresses me. It is just one dog, but what a dog! And the dog is engaged, thinking, smart, happy, athletic, head up, ears up, tail wagging. I would like to do this with one of mine. I wouldn't want to do that pack walk thing, not the way they are doing it.
Just Jumpy the dog - YouTube

#34 ·
Muskeg, that's the one! There's another with foxhounds that is fun, but this is pretty awesome. And there were other dogs, horses, cars, cyclists, joggers. He did not expect them to be 100% behind him or on task, but when it counted, he had them where they needed to be. Cool vid. And my player did not crash through all 9 minutes.

#35 ·
Muskeg - THAT was cool! That would be a goal I'd work towards. Thanks for posting it!!! Makes me want to be a dog in his pack!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.