German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Easiest way to learn 'come' or 'sit' on command? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/376185-easiest-way-learn-come-sit-command.html)

TotalTurtles 12-04-2013 07:31 PM

Easiest way to learn 'come' or 'sit' on command?

I take my GSD puppy, Chief, outside alot and sometimes he runs off or sniffs other people. Hes small enough to the point whrre I can just pick him up and carry him, but I would like to teach him as a pup so later in his life when hes heavy I can just say come or sit and he will obey. Thanks!

Baillif 12-04-2013 07:57 PM

Are you familiar with using a marker reward system?

TotalTurtles 12-04-2013 08:19 PM

Mqrker Reward System

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4613417)
Are you familiar with using a marker reward system?

No idea what that is. Explain? Ill reasearch it. Thanks

Baillif 12-04-2013 08:21 PM

Leerburg Dog Training | The Power of Training Dogs with Markers

Take a look here for an overview.

The sit command is fairly easy request wise but a really solid off leash recall is going to take some work and a little bit of base knowledge first.

MichaelE 12-04-2013 08:49 PM

A marker is a signal that the dog has done something correctly. The treat is the reward for doing so.

Timing is everything with this method so the dog does not misinterpret what it is you want or expect.

I used a clicker, praise, and treats to teach recall to Lisl.

I had her on a 30' training lead when teaching her this.

MichaelE 12-04-2013 08:55 PM

Lisl and I went outside so she could do her business and she saw a dog that lives two blocks up the street. Lisl is very territorial and she took off after this dog and chased it up the sidewalk a block and a half.

Lisl came back the second time I called LISL, COME!

I was really proud of her. That is the longest distance I've ever recalled a GSD.

TotalTurtles 12-04-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4613745)
The treat is the reward for doing so.

OH haha i know what that is then. I just didnt know that was what it was called. Thanks!

TotalTurtles 12-04-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4613641)
Leerburg Dog Training | The Power of Training Dogs with Markers

Take a look here for an overview.

The sit command is fairly easy request wise but a really solid off leash recall is going to take some work and a little bit of base knowledge first.

Thanks! I do that, I just didnt know that was what it was called.

Sunflowers 12-04-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalTurtles (Post 4613297)
I take my GSD puppy, Chief, outside alot and sometimes he runs off or sniffs other people. Hes small enough to the point whrre I can just pick him up and carry him, but I would like to teach him as a pup so later in his life when hes heavy I can just say come or sit and he will obey. Thanks!

Ah, I remember when Hans was little enough that I would carry him like a football. :wub:

The easiest way to do this is attach your puppy to a long lead, say "Come!" and begin reeling him in. Praise and have a party when he gets to you. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Never say "come" unless you are sure you can enforce it. You do not want the puppy to learn that he can ignore you.

For sit, I just lured him into position with treats. He learned it very quickly.

MichaelE 12-04-2013 09:39 PM

One more thing about teaching come, never ever, ever discipline a dog after you have called him and he comes.

That is the fastest way to lose their trust.