First puppy we've had in years... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First puppy we've had in years...

We brought her home from Germany (to Italy) yesterday afternoon. I'm not quite sure what her overall temperament is (she's still getting used to her new environment...pretty certain she's never faced stairs before...as she would go up, but would back away quite vocally when we tried to have her go down.)

Anyhow, we're trying to make the most of training times, there is just so much!

Our first goal has been keeping her on all-fours while in her ex-pen (rookie mistake...don't put puppy in her ex-pen when you're making her breakfast and she is really, really hungry...it's just too much ) Otherwise, she's doing really good about staying on all fours and not jumping on people)

So, we worked a little on manners (waiting to exit the gate, until she's properly hooked up), rewarding attention when she's walking with us, rewarding her not chasing cars, coming when called...all that good stuff), and then one session just dedicated to going up and down the stairs (whew! She made it down...not sure if we're completely past that hurdle, but we did make it all the way down the 4-flights once!)

I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed because it seems like there is so much we need to work on so quickly. The engagement work (chase the treat) has been a bust thus far (hoping it just wasn't "valuable enough" to her...we'll try again before dinner). We haven't really worked on learning her name, though (we are using her name, saying "Good Kiina," or "Come Kiina" -- she will respond to her name most of the time (I felt getting acclimated to the stairs and not jumping up took priority over her name, because I have a 4yo she can easily knock over...and carrying her down 4 flights of stairs, and having her piddle in fear is going to get old really, really fast!)

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
LisaKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would probably try to avoid having her do the stairs if at all possible (not sure if you live in a walk up or not), until she's a bit older. Maybe carry her in a towel?

I found the first couple of weeks a bit overwhelming too, but she will settle down with her new routine before too long. It sounds like you've got a good start!!

I would work on lots of socialization, if you're aren't already.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Puppies are alot of work but you'll get thru it, we all do!

Really take time to go thru the FAQ and puppy sections, but this is most important of all --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Have fun!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I would probably try to avoid having her do the stairs if at all possible (not sure if you live in a walk up or not), until she's a bit older. Maybe carry her in a towel?

I found the first couple of weeks a bit overwhelming too, but she will settle down with her new routine before too long. It sounds like you've got a good start!!

I would work on lots of socialization, if you're aren't already.
Unfortunately, we're on the top floor of a 4-story walk-up...no elevator. At least for 2 more weeks anyhow (when we get to move...and she doesn't have to do stairs at all...if she doesn't want to.)

As long as she doesn't have to "go" (like, if I carry her down, take her for a walk to "do her business" and then come back and just work on stairs), she's been fine. But, I think the having to "GO" and go down the stairs just puts her over her threshold...she gets halfway down and freaks. But, at least she got half way down today! (yesterday we had to carry her all the way down).
Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Puppies are alot of work but you'll get thru it, we all do!

Really take time to go thru the FAQ and puppy sections, but this is most important of all --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Have fun!
Thanks...all I feel like I've been doing is watching training videos, and reading articles/threads. My husband is laughing at me (he appreciates it...just thinks it's funny...I'm serious about it, because if this soon-to-be behemoth puppy/dog doesn't get trained properly, we're going to be in a world of hurt! LOL We have 5 kids, and are renting a nice home here in Italy...and I don't want anything to happen to either my kids or the house..haha!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKinVA View Post
Unfortunately, we're on the top floor of a 4-story walk-up...no elevator. At least for 2 more weeks anyhow (when we get to move...and she doesn't have to do stairs at all...if she doesn't want to.)

As long as she doesn't have to "go" (like, if I carry her down, take her for a walk to "do her business" and then come back and just work on stairs), she's been fine. But, I think the having to "GO" and go down the stairs just puts her over her threshold...she gets halfway down and freaks. But, at least she got half way down today! (yesterday we had to carry her all the way down).
COngratulations on your puppy!
At this age, do you need to worry about her hips from climbing the stairs? I only ask because I remember reading that this(climbing, jumping running too long) is not good for the puppy when we first got our puppy.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
COngratulations on your puppy!
At this age, do you need to worry about her hips from climbing the stairs? I only ask because I remember reading that this(climbing, jumping running too long) is not good for the puppy when we first got our puppy.
I know we aren't supposed to "go running" with the puppy until she's 12 months old. This is usually meant as -- a sustained period of running. I can't imagine trying to get Kiina to STOP running at all... We only take her for walks. She usually sets the pace (at times, it's frenetic). The stairs are taken slowly. This pup is already over 30 pounds (and I think she's a little underweight for her size, based upon the feel of her ribs). She'll easily reach 40+ pounds before we move.

I wouldn't take her up and down and up and down repeatedly -- when we did our stair training, it was one time down and one time up. Anything we do for actual "training" is done for 3-5 minutes, a few times a day. When we work on engagement, that is more "play" and regular routine than training...so I don't count that. She is on-leash (or in her ex-pen, or a crate) at all times. She's not flying down the stairs, or anything). She also doesn't really like to be picked up (probably because she knows we're going down the stairs ) Once we get down to the main floor she can't wait to get outside and have fun...but those darn stairs!

OTOH, she's taken to her crate and ex-pen like a champ! Walks right in...and quickly learning to wait for us to leash her up before coming out
Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have never worried about stairs but I did teach all puppies go up and down them properly so as not to cause injuries. I didn't want them airborne for the last few steps when going down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.