Biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 53
Default Biting

Hi! My puppy is almost 6 months and she bites too hard.
I have tried yelping or saying no, but she usually just gets more excited and thinks I'm playing. I have tried walking away, but because there are so many people in the house she just doesn't care that much. She is really gentle with taking treats and she doesn't bite as often as a few months ago but it hurts worse. Will this just get better as she matures, what else can I do? If you need more info ask.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default

I understand completely! We had the same problem and nothing I found on the internet worked. Found a book by Jan Fennell from the UK and everything in her books have worked with our GSD. In a nut shell she recommends isolating the dog from the pack. When our GSD would bite we would calmly without saying a word put her in her crate and leave her in there ALONE for 20 minutes. Return and repeat for 30 min. Return and repeat for 40 min. Then 50 60 and so forth. Every time she would bite we would put her back in isolation. By the end of two days of very little exercise and not spending time with the pack (which is my family) she stopped biting. We have read and believed that that you should not use the crate to punish....but it has worked perfect for us and she has no issues with sleeping in it and even goes in on her own for naps and bed time. If you don't have a crate, do have a place that you can isolate your dog completely and safely. The dog will bark cry and complain. Just ignore them and definitely do not let them out when they are complaining. This must all be done calmly and without saying anything. Also, when you play with your GSD puppy avoid rough housing and tug games. These seem to promote aggressive behavior. You may also want to keep a short leash on your pup... Easier to catch after they bite!

I am sure the book will do a better job of explaining what to do and I strongly recommend that you read it. She also has some great youtube videos! Our dog was so bad we were looking to rid of her and we are tried and true dog lovers. At seven months she is doing fine. Hope this works as well for you as it did for us.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Rick2853 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
LoveEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,356
Default

Up the exercise, work on obedience games. Redirecting to an appropriate toy is your best friend. Patience is key- this is a phase, but a long one. With patience and consistency with redirecting, she will outgrow it. She's also probably teething, which is going to make her biting more intense as she tries to relieve the discomfort. Frozen wash cloths make really good chews to redirect with.

Also, rough housing and tug promoting aggressive behavior is just hogwash, by the way. Wrestling definitely isn't going to help in this situation, it's not exactly helpful for teaching bit inhibition, but it's not going to cause aggression. Tug is an excellent, bond-building way to play with your pup and tucker them out (just watch for loose puppy teeth).
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
jarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,480
Default

When Neb was a puppy we worked on transferring his drive to tugs, rags, and toys.

It's a positive way to reinforce you not being bitten, as I suspect that's really the issue and not the force of the bite.
__________________
Teagan RIP
Luc 10.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear; Esme (refugee)
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire
jarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 875
Default

I would not use the yelp method as this projects weakness.

Also don't walk away from a dog. Address the issues as they arise. Step into a dogs space rather than step away from it when the dog is testing you.

If you need to project your dominance you lift your chin and turn your head to the side and yawn. This shows the dog you are not willing to play and are above it. Most people will have there head down and step back from a biting pup showing the pup weak body language which the pup then capitalizes on. Instead I would turn it around on the pup and show it that I am the more powerful.

Use a crate if you are busy with other things and need time away from the pup.

If a pup tried to bite me I would use the 'slap on the nose' technique. Hold under the mouth and slap down on nose. This can be done very lightly just to get the message across. Also the 'grab by the neck and give a good shake technique' is one the pups mother would use to correct the pups
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
boomer11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I would not use the yelp method as this projects weakness.

Also don't walk away from a dog. Address the issues as they arise. Step into a dogs space rather than step away from it when the dog is testing you.

If you need to project your dominance you lift your chin and turn your head to the side and yawn. This shows the dog you are not willing to play and are above it. Most people will have there head down and step back from a biting pup showing the pup weak body language which the pup then capitalizes on. Instead I would turn it around on the pup and show it that I am the more powerful.

Use a crate if you are busy with other things and need time away from the pup.

If a pup tried to bite me I would use the 'slap on the nose' technique. Hold under the mouth and slap down on nose. This can be done very lightly just to get the message across. Also the 'grab by the neck and give a good shake technique' is one the pups mother would use to correct the pups
oh gawd people and their dominance. the pup wants to PLAY, not challenging you for pack position. you clearly havent been around any high drive pups because "a slap on the nose" or "a good shake" just ramps the dog up even more. the biting will get better with age if you are consistent. redirect with a toy every single time. if you give the dog a different reaction each time then the dog never learns.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
"a slap on the nose" or "a good shake" just ramps the dog up even more.
I would argue that any pup, no matter what drive will back a way if you grab it under the mouth and slap down onto it's nose. It is not the most eloquent of procedures but it does work for biting or teaching an out when a dog is locking onto items and not letting go.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

Did you get a chance to click on this ---> Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help to try some of those hints and suggestions?

__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
boomer11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I would argue that any pup, no matter what drive will back a way if you grab it under the mouth and slap down onto it's nose. It is not the most eloquent of procedures but it does work for biting or teaching an out when a dog is locking onto items and not letting go.
well that is your opinion but if i remember correctly you dont even own a german shepherd? so im guessing you've never really slapped a german shepherd on the nose to get it to stop biting? i could pick up and throw my dog against the wall and he would come back twice as fast to keep wrestling. i wouldnt use my hands to punish a dog or teach an "out". only good things come from my hands.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
oh gawd people and their dominance. the pup wants to PLAY, not challenging you for pack position. you clearly havent been around any high drive pups because "a slap on the nose" or "a good shake" just ramps the dog up even more. the biting will get better with age if you are consistent. redirect with a toy every single time. if you give the dog a different reaction each time then the dog never learns.
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner.

I have done this with all of my dogs successfully.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com