Training New Puppy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Training New Puppy!

I just got an 8 week old, and have NO idea what I am doing. Should I go to an obedience trainer now, or wait a few months. When should I clicker train, and start agility. I just need to know everything. If you have had a puppy, who is now grown and super obedient and loyal, or is still young but getting there, PLEASE help. Make me a puppy handbook. I want her to be a dog who stays in sit position when dogs are around, and is loyal to me, and is just a good dog. So, please help me here is the little no named bugger.
Attached Thumbnails
Training New Puppy!-image.jpg  
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for two threads asking the same questions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Redrider469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider469 View Post
Am I missing something? Is there a reason for two threads asking the same questions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sorry, not trying to make duplicate threads. But that one was more general questions, and I wanted to start a new on just on training. Really sorry, not trying to be a nuisance.
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

you need to slow down and breathe.. After all the internet 'searching' you've done, you should have a pretty good idea of "what and what not" to do at this point..

No puppy this age is going to an obed trainer, they have the attention span of a gnat.

As I said in your other thread, start creating a bond with her, a good way is to feed her her meals by hand. Alwayscarry treats on you, when she does something "good" PRAISE HER AND REWARD HER.

At this age, she is going to bite, she is going to be a brat, chew things up (puppy proof your house!), get a crate put it in your room, she'll have potty accidents, and BITE..Have appropriate toys around , things she won't 'eat'.

When your done with your initial vacs, sign up for a puppy/obedience class..

You can work on short basic things now, sit is a good/easy one to teach..Don't get frustrated if she isn't going to do what you want, puppies again, have the attention span of gnats..

Take her outside often to potty, and praise & reward when she goes outside, don't punish inside, it's "our" fault for not taking them out enough or keeping an eye on them.

Go to your local library, and get a book on raising a puppy..The monks of new skete would be a good beginner book tho a tad outdated..

You will get out of this dog what you put into it..Be fair, consistent and have patience. They aren't born trained..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Noah!
Do you have her feeding schedule planned out?
How about potty training?
Those are just some of the BASICS that you need to think of right now.
She shouldn't be in public places until fully vaccinated.

As Jakoda suggested, go to the library...get some books.

Relax and enjoy her.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The first thing I do with my puppies is get a few rounds of shots and off to a puppy class we go, I do not wait until they are done with shots because then you miss the critical socialization period time. I've never had an issue... I don't take them to places a lot of dogs are at until they're fully vacc'd but a puppy class with other puppies will be fine.

You want to get them out and meet all kinds of people, dogs(once vacc'd, they do not need to play with dogs just see them).... Start off with a puppy class and go from there. Right now the main thing to worry about is potty training(crate training is the easiest way), socialization and basic manners.

BE patient, all these things you want are going to take time! My dog just turned a year and he is still not where I want him to be and we are just now trying agility(they have to be at least a year before they can do the actual jumps and things, the place I'm going to doesn't actually allow dogs to start training until they're 8 months old but it is possible to start young just no jumping). Also our bond didn't fully form until he was older, some puppies will cling to you right away others like mine who are more independent need a little time.

But a group puppy class is the best place to start, you will learn a lot there and it's also good socialization.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My golden retriever puppy is now 4 months. I got him when he was 12 weeks old. He knows sit, down, watch me, leave it, and is doing well with heeling, I don't even have to tell him to sit when we stop, he does it automatically. Don't be afraid to use treats, they are your friend right now. I started obedience with him at home right away and started obedience classes two weeks ago(14 weeks old). Socialization is not only about other dogs and people, but different places, noises,etc. Our homework from class was to introduce them to something new every day. Tomorrow we are going to my work where there is construction going on. We will walk past it and watch for a while. Training will help you bond with the dog. You'll want to get obedience in before the agility classes start. You can introduce the puppy to agility stuff, but remember they can't jump to high. My puppy is a pro with a tunnel, he loves it.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."

Last edited by llombardo; 09-27-2013 at 08:45 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would immediately start by associating her name (once you find one that you like for her) and coming to you with good things. I've been off and on in terms of training my dog (1 year old now), but he has fantastic recall even though he's an unneutered teenage butthead. He loves coming back to me and I always make it exciting for him - running around, rubbing him all over, play tug etc.

There's waaay more to think about, and to incorporate, but I think this gives you something simple to work on while you get your thoughts in order.

Youtube is a wonderful resource, as are training books, and this forum.
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is your handbook.
Read it carefully and do what it says.

Amazon.com: Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right eBook: Sophia Yin, Lili Chin: Kindle Store Amazon.com: Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right eBook: Sophia Yin, Lili Chin: Kindle Store
Old 09-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We started puppy classes at 11 weeks. You may find a puppy class for the younger pups that doesn't require all the vaccinations to be done already. The class was for dogs 8-17 weeks I believe (and after that they went to the next class for the older pups). There were only 6 dogs in class, and the trainer will separate out the small and big breed dogs for playtime.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.