AHHH help ! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default AHHH help !

I have posted about this before and tried so many things! So I'm going to bring it up again because its getting worse actually. My 4.5 month old pup is perfect when I walk him. But for some reason if I walk my dog or my friends dog (he only does this with dogs he knows) he will lunge and scream for them. If eventually gets to them (which I don't let happen) he will bite them. It doesn't seem like he's doing it aggressively. I know he's a puppy I just want to fix it while I can. It's an issue when he's screaming for a dog and people think I'm hurting him when I try to correct him. And the biting thing is the worst. He actually tried to do it to me at first by jumping and biting me. But I corrected him so much that he won't do it to me anymore. But now if someone comes on a walk with me it brings out that behavior and he does it again. I'm thinking it might be his herding instincts. Any ideas would be much appreciated its just getting worse and I would like to walk my dogs all together.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Brinapayton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My Sting would have done the same - your pup is really young still. At that age it can be very difficult for a young pup to be close to another dog without getting excited. The biting and so on is redirection and excitement. I would not try to correct but instead redirect with a toy or a ball. I used to carry a ball and throw it a way when that happened and my Sting got excited when he spotted another dog. He would chase after the ball and forget about the other dog. Also I wouldn't try to walk the young pup with another dog. Instead keep a distance and just let him observe - reward him for being quiet and redirect him when needed.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

You have to watch for leash aggression. When you hold back a dog it wants to go more and in this case it is towards another dog. If your pup met with dogs off leash I'm thinking it would greet by sniffing and posturing a bit. The holding him back may be encouraging him to be a little more agitated and go for the bite.

A turn command can be a very worthwhile trick for fixing issues with walking. You get the dog used to turning and going the different direction when you wish so you can easily avoid meeting other dogs and you get the dog expecting a change of direction so it will observe you more.

As it is he is probably out front exploring his territory(in his mind). So with this turning he may start to walk by your side looking at you. You have to use your height advantage to see what is coming before your pup. I prefer to walk past or avoid random dogs i met rather than the let the dogs 'socialize' as meeting head on is a bad way of introducing 2 dogs so 'socialization' becomes confrontation.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
My Sting would have done the same - your pup is really young still. At that age it can be very difficult for a young pup to be close to another dog without getting excited. The biting and so on is redirection and excitement. I would not try to correct but instead redirect with a toy or a ball. I used to carry a ball and throw it a way when that happened and my Sting got excited when he spotted another dog. He would chase after the ball and forget about the other dog. Also I wouldn't try to walk the young pup with another dog. Instead keep a distance and just let him observe - reward him for being quiet and redirect him when needed.
I wil try the ball thing for sure. I'll honestly try anything haha. I actually am working on the part where he observes from a distance but it takes him 30 minutes to calm down even if the dog has been out of sight for a while. But when he does I do reward him.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
You have to watch for leash aggression. When you hold back a dog it wants to go more and in this case it is towards another dog. If your pup met with dogs off leash I'm thinking it would greet by sniffing and posturing a bit. The holding him back may be encouraging him to be a little more agitated and go for the bite.

A turn command can be a very worthwhile trick for fixing issues with walking. You get the dog used to turning and going the different direction when you wish so you can easily avoid meeting other dogs and you get the dog expecting a change of direction so it will observe you more.

As it is he is probably out front exploring his territory(in his mind). So with this turning he may start to walk by your side looking at you. You have to use your height advantage to see what is coming before your pup. I prefer to walk past or avoid random dogs i met rather than the let the dogs 'socialize' as meeting head on is a bad way of introducing 2 dogs so 'socialization' becomes confrontation.
I am worried that it is turning into leash aggression. It's very strange because as soon as I take my dog off the leash (even if my pup still has it on) he still whines but doesn't lunge and try and bite. It's like he hates my dogs or dogs he knows on leashes. Anyways I will admit I do hold him back but only cause he will bite my dogs.it makes sense that it really could make the situation worse. It's like he's in the zone, he will stare down my dog until he gets what he wants. (Which is her) I'm going to try and redirect the behavior. It's just hard when he's screaming at the top of his lungs and pulling.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default okay same problem PLEASE HELP

So I think the last time i posted on here about this issue was almost a year ago....yeah well he still has what i think is leash aggression or anxiety. He's a year an a half old now and I still don't understand what his problem is. My best friend and I both have dogs that we love to take everywhere. But i'm not able to take Koen (my dog) on walks or anything involving a leash with dogs HE KNOWS. He is completely fine when we are at the dog park off leash with his buddies. It's pretty much a fixation on the dog he knows and will do anything not to lose focus on them. He will whine and bark and bark and bark if he is not able to get to the dog. But if he does end up getting to the dog he will bite them ( i don't think he wants to hurt them) seems like he always tries to go for the neck (dominance thing?) Anyways, its such a struggle when he pulls and causes a ruckus. I've tried redirecting the behavior by distracting him with a ball, that definitely does not work. I will turn around and walk away from the dog so it's out of site, one time i waited for him to calm down for 45 min before and once he saw his buddy he started back up again. No matter what i cant snap him out of what seems like a trance. Also, me, koen and my best friend who owns his dog friend went to the arts market. My friend didn't bring her dog so it was just the three of us. Well Koen started acting towards my friend how he does with her dog. Barking, whining, jumping on her constantly. When I would walk him a little bit in front of her he would constantly look back to make sure she was there. Once she would catch up he would jump on her. So i really need help with this, if anyone has any advice ill take it! we are about to be roommates in an area thats very dog friendly where we can pretty much walk everywhere. i would love to take my dog with her dog on walks. PLEASE HELP! thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you tried finding a professional trainer? This seems to have gone on for a long time and you have tried many suggestions to no avail. You may need someone who has experience with these types of things.

Good luck!
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
Have you tried finding a professional trainer? This seems to have gone on for a long time and you have tried many suggestions to no avail. You may need someone who has experience with these types of things.

Good luck!
No that's my next step. I think it's time. Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.