suggestions on increasing focus? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default suggestions on increasing focus?

I've noticed that recently Kylie's focus on me has diminished. She is almost 8mo. I'll call her and she'll come if she feels like it. She used to come to me immediately even at the dog park. Now she comes towards me at the dog park if she feels like it, but then does a run by rather than actually coming to me.

The past few days I've been hand-feeding all her food and only giving her food when she responds to a command. She still doesn't always come very quickly when I call.

Also, we've been using the easy walker harness since around Christmas and it worked wonderfully to stop the pulling and the car lunging. I tried walking her without the harness yesterday and the car lunging was awful. She's a lot stronger than she was back in December. I'm sticking with the harness.

I would love to do another class with her, but with one in college and another going to college next year, it's going to be hard to swing the cost. I need suggestions I can use to work with her myself.

-----------

On another note, she has also started destroying her toys. I had to throw away her frisbee, her crinkly pumpkin that we put toys inside, and all rope toys because she was eating them. She can't have balls that have fuzz because she eats the fuzz off and the vet said that would destroy her teeth. She gets a new finger rib bone 3x/week. She has two hooves to chew on as well as many, many bones. She has a knuckle bone, but she seems to like her rib bones better because those started out with meat on them. She doesn't care for the antler and never even touches it. The hooves only occasionally get touched.

Any toy suggestions? I was going to get her a Kong Wubba, but then I read about dogs eating them in a matter of minutes.

She loves bully sticks and bully springs, but those get expensive since they actually get eaten. The last time she had one it lasted about 30 minutes.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.