potty training help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default potty training help!!

Hi everyone new to the site and forum first time posting. I have my first gsd and she is 8 weeks. Ive been trying the positive reinforcement training with her instead of the traditional balanced method and im having a problem with potty training. She will pee anywhere from 3-5 times in 20 mins and its starting to get hard to deal with. I think she may have learned when she pees she gets a treat so she pees several times in one sitting shell keep getting treats. Problem is shell go outside once or twice then again in the house. Im not sure if it is the fact she gets rewarded or something else entirely. Any advice or suggestions based on how you trained? Thanks
brandon1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You may want to have the vet check her over to rule out any urinary infection. But I do think you are right - she has learned to pee for a treat. I suggest you do the crate training. Have pup on a schedule like - get up take pup out of crate and outside - make sure pup potties (give enough time) come inside - feed pup and offer water - put pup inside crate for about 45 minutes - let pup out of crate - take pup outside to potty - play with pup - put back in crate - again wait about 45 minutes - let pup out to potty and so on. Also when pup is inside and not in crate - keep pup on a leash attached to you so you can catch any accidents. As pup grows and gains bladder control you can lengthen the time. I suggest you praise her when she pees outside, but no treats. You can use the treats for other training.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

rule out the medical and take her out more often.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

ill take her wednesday to the vet. i have an app to get my wifes schnauser neutered. im not sure its an infection tho she doesnt seem to hurt and doesnt wine. well try keeping her kenneled more often to get her in the habbit and see if that works.

taking her out more often would almost be leaving her outside. she pees almost every 10-15 minutes. since i posted this earlier she was just doing it a few times now she continues to pee like she has been drinking water all day but shes had no accesss to water past meals simply because were trying to get her on a schedule.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think 45 minutes is too long after a feeding. I would start with 15 or 20 minutes.

I take Lisl out first thing after rolling out of bed and she pees right away. Sometimes she poops, other times she doesn't. She will always poop about 20 minutes after eating though. You can practically set your watch by her.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok i do think she has uti ill see if i can get her seen tomorrow. i forgot dogs have different pain thresholds and she doesnt necessairly have to wine or whimper to have pain.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Update!!

Ok i had her checked out and the vet said shes fine thats just the way she is...........any suggestions!? Other than take her out every 10-15 mins its not feasible for me to be home all day. Im no longer giving her trwats whem she goes so there no more rewards involved. Shell go outside squat for second then stop walk atound for about 6-7 mins and do it again. Then if shes inside for more than 15 mins goes again.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It seems like she isn't emptying out her bladder and puppies do go more than once during their potty time. When you take her out - if you have a secure fenced area - leave her outside for a 1/2 hour weather permiting. Otherwise you will need to take her out and watch her for about 15 minutes - walk around yourself. Then after she has piddled, take her for a walk -the exercise will help her to go again if she has to. Also throw a stick or a ball, something for her to run and chase - so she gets more exercise. At that young age, she can only be left in her crate for about an hour. If you can't be home, set up a puppy proof room - crate open in corner - piddle pads in one corner, her food and water in another. Keep her on a strict feeding schedule and take her out at regular times.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Unfortunately our back yard is not fully fenced yet. Work in progress. Ill try taking her for walks during potty times maybe thatll help. Hard to do with a 2 year old and puppy at the same time lol. Maybr i can get her into chasing a ball so far no dice thanks for the advice!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to AnnieOver

My schedule:
7 week old puppy

9:00p.m. - 11:00p.m. sleep in crate
11:00p.m. - to 11:30p.m. outside potty break, water and food
11:30p.m. - 1:30a.m. crate
1:30a.m. - 2:00a.m. pee, food and water break
2:00a.m. - 4:00a.m. crate
4:00a.m. - 9:00a.m. plays with husband and I til husband goes to work/ten minute walk
9:00a.m. - 11:00a.m. crate
11:00a.m. - 1:00p.m. playtime with husband on his lunch break/ten minute walk
1:00p.m. - 3:00p.m. crate
3:00p.m. - 9:00p.m. playtime, food, water, one hour walk, etc

We have been on this schedule for a week now and the puppy has gotten use to this so well already, he goes in his crate at the exact specified time, it is amazing

Just like children, puppies need structure and discipline (gentle discipline)

right after playtime (i mean right after) scoop him/her up and take them outside, right after crate time, scoop him/her up and take them outside straight away.

I've almost got my puppies movements lol down to a science:
pee's once and about 40 minutes later he pee's again, then an hour later he poops, and a half an hour later he pee's again, then he is good for a solid two hours.

When we first got him, he was pee'ing every ten minutes

We never structure water however we do structure feeding:
Humans eat first, then the puppy
5:00a.m. feeding
12:00p.m. feeding
5:00p.m. feeding

We use treats for everything: he goes pee outside, we praise and give him a treat; he goes poop outside we praise him and give him a treat; he goes in his crate, we praise him and give him a treat. Now a week later, he is doing extremely well; he tells us when he needs to go outside, and he goes in his crate willingly; he will howl for about five minutes and then go to sleep in his crate.
AnnieOver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.