Peeing right before we take him out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Peeing right before we take him out?

Our 5-month old German Shepherd puppy seems to be semi-crate trained, as he generally knows not to pee inside. However, there are a number of odd times where he will pee inside RIGHT before we take him out. We would be completely dressed, put his harness and leash on him, lead him to the door, then he would pee. Either that, or he would pee in the hallway of our condo.
We take him out every 4-5 hours, so it isn't because he simply can't hold it in anymore. And I also know that if we continued to stay in, he wouldn't pee! He would be playing or sleeping
Any suggestions on how to get him to hold it in a bit more until we are actually outside? Is it a psychological thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

5 hours may still be too long for your little guy. Rules of thumb are just guidelines and don't account for individual needs. Same with the general age when ears stand up, what age before they have their first heat, and the length of gestation.

Sometimes, a horse is just a horse.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkamor View Post
Our 5-month old German Shepherd puppy seems to be semi-crate trained, as he generally knows not to pee inside. However, there are a number of odd times where he will pee inside RIGHT before we take him out. We would be completely dressed, put his harness and leash on him, lead him to the door, then he would pee. Either that, or he would pee in the hallway of our condo.
Emphasis on the "generally". If he's still peeing in the house he's not yet housebroken, even if he's pretty good most of the time. I'm guessing it happens because when he needs to go he needs to go NOW. Waiting while you get fully dressed, he's harnessed and leashed, and then walking through the hallway of your condo before actually getting outdoors may just be too long for him. I would speed that process up, if possible.

Even if it's only taking a few minutes, that might be the difference between success and failure. If he needs the harness can you just keep it on him all the time (as long as he's supervised)? Or use a martingale collar that you can quickly pop over his head if you're concerned about him backing out of his regular collar? Keep your coat handy and have some shoes nearby that you can quickly step into, and then RUN him out.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lol...my shoes stay on, these days. Even at 11 months, when she asks, it's because she has to go, now.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Emphasis on the "generally". If he's still peeing in the house he's not yet housebroken, even if he's pretty good most of the time. I'm guessing it happens because when he needs to go he needs to go NOW. Waiting while you get fully dressed, he's harnessed and leashed, and then walking through the hallway of your condo before actually getting outdoors may just be too long for him. I would speed that process up, if possible.

Even if it's only taking a few minutes, that might be the difference between success and failure. If he needs the harness can you just keep it on him all the time (as long as he's supervised)? Or use a martingale collar that you can quickly pop over his head if you're concerned about him backing out of his regular collar? Keep your coat handy and have some shoes nearby that you can quickly step into, and then RUN him out.
We'll try that, but I get the feeling that he anticipates us going out, and he pees right beforehand. Also, the elevator wait is brutal!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagirl View Post
Lol...my shoes stay on, these days. Even at 11 months, when she asks, it's because she has to go, now.
It'd be a lot easier in the summer to just run down instead of having to put on layers of clothes, mittens, boots, etc. It's crazy cold in Canada!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

It may be excitement. Can you carry him during the elevator wait? I have never had a dog pee when I'm holding the pup.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post
It may be excitement. Can you carry him during the elevator wait? I have never had a dog pee when I'm holding the pup.
That's a big possibility actually. When we play Wii, he will start whining then pees in his crate as well. Those are the only times he will pee in his crate. I guess he gets really excited too when we jump around.

It's not really possible for me to carry him anymore as I'm about 90 lbs, and he's about 45 lbs
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Leave him in his crate until you are fully dressed and have already pushed the button for the elevator. Then leash him up and go!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkamor View Post
It'd be a lot easier in the summer to just run down instead of having to put on layers of clothes, mittens, boots, etc. It's crazy cold in Canada!
I am very familiar with the weather there. I was raised in Quebec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.