I said I wouldn't do this... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default I said I wouldn't do this...

but Grim is bored with the limited things I'm working him on to get his kibble. So tonight I decided to teach him 'shake'. Well, the first time I picked up one paw and shook it after he was in a sit. I gave him kibble and said "good boy, yes!" The next time I told him to sit and put my hand out and said "shake" and he promptly put his paw in my hand. No further instruction needed. He got rewarded each time, and I think he was thrilled to learn something new. I'm trying to work on sit means sit until released. Of course, that's not coming as quickly. I think it's more that he doesn't want to do it than he doesn't understand it after he learned shake with just one demo. I've got to start doing some 'stupid pet tricks' with him, I guess, to keep him from getting bored and frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have found that 'shake' is one of the easiest commands to teach.

Seems they want to give you a paw all of the time when they are puppies anyway. Makes it that much easier to perform it on command.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Next step - high five

Theres no reason why you should't teach him a few "tricks" is there?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

"shake" was the first trick Arexa learned when she was 2 moths old. She learned it instantely followed by "sit", 2 days ago i taught her to "roll over". I just love teaching her new things!!! So far she knows place,sit,lay down, roll over, shake, hi5,stay,leave it, and jump. She just turned 9 months and man I have noticed her behaviour is changing so much, she is so much more obedient! Im just shocked... its like suddenly she realized ok I will actually listen to my owner not just do what i please

Today I was teaching her to bark on command but I had no success, having hard time making her bark. I even tried barking myself for a while but that just made me look dumb
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

No, no real reason not to teach him tricks, I guess. I did with my previous shepherds, but I'd told my wife I was only doing 'serious' training (IPO stuff) with him and no "stupid pet tricks". Well... they're not so stupid after all for him because he wants to learn new things. He's never given me his paw before...so I didn't think it would be that easy. Grim was never the 'typical' puppy, lol! He never was still long enough to offer me a paw! I spent months just trying not to be shredded. My wife literally would NOT play with him (and still doesn't) because he's so energetic and always tends to lead with his mouth. He doesn't bite like he did before, but when he's playing he'll get a small nip in here and there. I'm still working on that. He's getting it. I may try to teach him to roll over, but he's always on the move so that will be a little tougher. I think 'speak' would be easy now that he's found his bark.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Many people who teach stupid 'tricks' end up with the best dogs and best relationships with that dog. They aren't stupid at all.

Have you read this yet? ---> Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching tricks

Good luck
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And I thought Hans was smart because he gets anything if shown three times!

You really have your hands full with that firecracker

And where is our video of shake?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I've always taught tricks, I just wasn't going to with Grim. The "stupid pet tricks" was just an off handed comment to my wife... not really how I feel about them. I just wanted to concentrate on all of the new stuff I was going to have to learn to teach him that I hadn't before. It made teaching tricks seem 'stupid' (to me) because I have so much else to learn. I don't feel, though, that teaching tricks is stupid. I guess I don't know how else to put it. I think it's cool to watch dogs do tricks, which is why I always taught some. Just with so much new stuff on my plate... does that make any sense? I figured I already had my hands full. I will check out the link, thanks. I guess we're going to work on some tricks as well... because I think he enjoys it more right now than the obedience stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
And I thought Hans was smart because he gets anything if shown three times!

You really have your hands full with that firecracker

And where is our video of shake?
I'll have my wife do video tonight. She was worn out and not in the best mood after work last night. Yes, I do have my hands full!! That's the main reason I wasn't going to bother with tricks in the first place. However... if he likes it, we'll do it. Whatever the little prince wants. "Firecracker". That's an accurate description if there ever was one!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

We like doing tricks as part of our training Do a couple of serious exercises, then throw in a fun trick, then back to something serious

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.