I said I wouldn't do this... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Don't know for sure, but I know he seemed more interested in learning 'shake'. So maybe they do. Until I'm a dog, I really couldn't tell you.... but it shouldn't matter.

Grim lets himself out the screen door. This has come in handy when he had the runs. Door dashing is a good thing to work on, too. If he didn't figure out on the first day that the screen door didn't latch and he could go out on his own, this would probably be a lot easier for me to work on.
Beth hasn't been with us for a whole two weeks, yet, but she hasn't dashed the door yet, except when she sees a cat. She is starting to Intentionally look away when we're walking and I tell her to leave it. They can now line the tiny back door deck and she'll perk her ears, but walk in through the door without a backwards glance.

Would she do this off-leash? Not a snowball's chance in Hades.

The task is daunting, but I'm going to say that we've learned much in 12 days.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
yeah there is. the GSD doesn't do tricks. tricks are for those
other dogs.
LOL well if your dog has a superiority complex perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad
do you think your dog knows the difference between a serious
exercise and a trick??
They may pick up a difference especially if the trainer is less "intense" trying to teach a "trick" as compared to a "serious" obedience exercise.
Most humans approach things they consider serious and important in a more intense way than something that they consider fun and not so important.

I have always admired movie dogs, the way they are trained is fantastic and yes it's all tricks that get put together.
I don't see how teaching a dog to go to a mark, then drop, then half recall, then stop on a different mark is that much different from some other obedience exercises? It teaches them to be aware of you, it teaches them body awareness and also focus.
The most impressive thing I've seem was a movie dog (funnily enough a GSD) standing on a rock ledge pulling up a bucket on a rope.
For him to do this he needed to know several "tricks" that were strung together. He had to pull the rope, then had to step on the rope to stop the bucket falling while he let go to grab the rope again then reach down to pick the next section of rope and pull again.
Also you'd be amazed how many people that are weary of my dogs warm to them when they see them do a "high five" or "say your prayers"
Each to their own I guess *shrugs*
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.