6 month old: disobedient - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down 6 month old: disobedient

The problem I have come to admit is the fact that I have problems catching her in the house and even outside when she needs to go back on leash. She's super fast and even if I was to catch her I risk accidentally poking her eyes out etc. How do I FIX this issue??
the worst is when see steals something of the kitchen counter, the only way was to throw a blanket over her...
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

How in the world do you risk poking her eyes out?

If every-time you catch her, something negative happens then she learns not to be caught.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd have her on a long lead so that you can make her come. I wouldn't have her off leash (especially outside) until she will come. As far as stealing something off the kitchen counter goes, I find a squirt bottle (with water) and a good "AH-AH!" goes a long way. You need to let her know that stealing things off the counter is not an option. If you can't supervise her (ie, if this is happening while you're trying to prepare a meal or things of that nature) I'd crate her until she can be trusted.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

You throw a blanket on her to catch her!?

You need to go back and read the prong thread where Carmen suggests buildling a relationship with your dog.

Also obedience classes would help. I have no idea why you'd be at risk for poking your puppy's eyes out

Quote:
If every-time you catch her, something negative happens then she learns not to be caught.
This. x10. Something's wrong if you're having that many issues with her coming to you when called.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think the poking the eye out comment is just that she's trying to grab at somewhere near her head and if the dog moves its head it's gonna get a finger in the eye. It's happened to me and Sasha before (not because I was trying to catch her, but because I was reaching down to pet her and she moved her head and got a finger to the eye.)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know. I've never thought I'd poke my dog's eyes out as I'm not reaching for their heads...!? When I need to get ahold of one of my dogs, I usually don't have this issue though, as I taught them coming to me meant GOOD things.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele View Post
The problem I have come to admit is the fact that I have problems catching her in the house and even outside when she needs to go back on leash. She's super fast and even if I was to catch her I risk accidentally poking her eyes out etc. How do I FIX this issue??
the worst is when see steals something of the kitchen counter, the only way was to throw a blanket over her...
First: realize how much fun you are for your puppy to return to. Recalls need to be irresistible for dogs.The only way to achieve it is for you to be the best thing in life for her. Go back to puppy level 101 , take her to a class or, better, hire a private trainer that will come to your house.
A good book: The Power of Positive Dog training by Pat Miller
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I usually don't have this issue though, as I taught them coming to me meant GOOD things.
Yeah....well, she's still in that process and that's why she's coming here for help.

To the OP: building on what msvette2u is saying, I would start working your dog on a strong come. Get her out on a long lead, but start slow. A couple steps even. Call your dog and have a really exciting thing (a toy, a treat, a piece of meat, whatever your dog loves the most) in your hand that she gets when she does well, along with a lot of pets and praise. Slowly work toward more and more steps until you're at the end of the leash. Do go slow. Don't set your pup up for failure: if she's not reliable at a couple steps yet, then don't try a couple feet, that kind of thing. Then once she's good to the end of the leash drop the leash (in an inclosed area) and keep backing up slowly but surely. You get the idea here. Baby steps.

Last edited by NewbieShepherdGirl; 01-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Oh yeah.
Don't call the dog unless she's on a leash and you can "reel her in" gently for good things (treats, pets, etc.)
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

If I took training class' I wouldn't be here, I've come for a solution not criticism.
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.