6 month old: disobedient - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I would not recommend ecollars for such an easy fix and yes I'm sure folks will get all up and arms and say I don't understand them, etc.

But this is a very simple fix - and as long as the OP enrolls in training classes and learns how to communicate with his or her puppy things can hardly go wrong.

The main issue at this point is lack of clear communication. When someone says their puppy is disobedient, it's often the case that communication hasn't be done correctly and the dog simply doesn't know what is being expected of it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

I appreciate your detailed reply Selzer;
I do spend few hours training her personally everyday she's very smart and can do many things. The blanket thing I did only once cause I lost my cool, plus I had to leave the house immediately. I've been doing great with her its just that every month brings something new, and certain things I just haven't stopped and analized, I do plan on taking the classes.
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's good. Well, she is a puppy. Some people like to avoid this part of the development process, others just love it. But it can be trying.

All puppies are kind of a pain. I mean all breeds. But, GSDs and many of the herding/working breeds are worse because of their intelligence. Intelligence and obedience are almost diametrically opposed at some points. A dumb dog will learn what you want and do just that, every time. A smart dog will sometimes tweak it, put their own flare on it, try something different.

I think this is why I prefer mostly positive training techniques. I want a dog, when it is mature, to do what I want it to do. But I don't want to hamper the spirit and sense of humor the dog has. I want a totally trusting relationship both ways. And you can get there with good discipline, you can get there with prongs and e-collars. That is not what I am saying really. I want to enjoy the training. I don't care if perfection isn't reached by 6 months. My dog does not need to get their CD within days of being eligible to be shown. They are puppies for what? 18 months? I want to enjoy that time with the dog.

My dogs and I enjoy training classes. We keep it light and fun, and though I wouldn't care if the whole class was miles ahead of me, somehow that is generally not the case at all.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele View Post
I appreciate your detailed reply Selzer;
I do spend few hours training her personally everyday she's very smart and can do many things. The blanket thing I did only once cause I lost my cool, plus I had to leave the house immediately. I've been doing great with her its just that every month brings something new, and certain things I just haven't stopped and analized, I do plan on taking the classes.
I did majority of the prep work with Kaylee using many methods positive reinforcement, and keeping her on a lead using appropriate corrections as needed. Training classes are great if that is what you want to do and I think it would be a good experience for you two.

I myself took Kaylee to a class. Some people many not find a trainer they like, or taking classes they may not want to do. Sometimes money is an issue as well. All of the things mentioned on building a relationship can be achieved many ways. I agree defiantly take a class and work with your dog. Adele I think it is great that you are going to take this route. This might be what you two need to solve the problems you are having and give us an update on how you two are doing in the future.

@ selzer

I like to give suggestions and my experience with e collars has amazing. For us and Kaylee it has been wonderful. My dog actually has no issue with her collar and it was introduced to her in a positive way. Kaylee is in control of her page "vibration feature" and she knows how to shut it off. My dog's spirit is not broken from her training. What the training has achieved is bringing everything we have done together which is the foundation work. Now we are at the advanced level creating reliability in a positive way using remote training. The e collar is not a discipline tool it is a training tool that teaches the dog to be responsible for their behavior. Lou Castle's e collar methods have worked wonders for us.

It just depends on what the individual wants to do and what he or she feels comfortable with. So I suggest to anyone who may have an issue to look into all possible tools and research it and they may or may not consider using. The good thing is they have real useful information that is available to them. Sharing information is what it is about and there are many options and tools out there to use.

Classes are great and there is nothing wrong with taking them. Positive reinforcement is a wonderful tool and is great for teaching puppies. As a pup reaches 6 months you may find that the positive approach is not enough and you need to find other methods or tools to train your dog with. I believe it takes a combination of methods and sharing good knowledge for people who need some help and I am glad that Adele found some help here with your suggestions. I think it is great when some one gets help and has found a option that they can use to better their relationship/training with their dog.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

You have a lot of good suggestions here.
I think the one thing I've done with my dogs is from the time they come in as a puppy. I carry small treats in my pockets and at odd times when they just walk to me I treat and praise, they soon learn "Mom is good".
I have washed so many pairs of jeans and ended up with gooey dog treats in the pockets, where I forgot to take them out LOL
I think what I would do with your pup is let her drag a leash at all times supervised of course, so she doesn't get tangled up in something, that ends the chase game.
and treat/ praise when ever she comes to you or towards you.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.