Choosing a non-optimal pee spot... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Choosing a non-optimal pee spot...

Malika is doing better on not peeing in the apartment, but sometimes goes in the elevator on the way outside. Should I use a concrete parking lot as her pee spot because it's closer? There's a good little park that's very close, but we aren't walking very fast yet, so it's taking like 20 minutes to get there...and I have to get back to work! The park seems more ideal, but other dogs pee there too, which is a concern. Should I reward her for everything outside or just at the park? Thanks in advance GSD folks!
Malika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm going this route now because it's the closest acceptable spot. I've had some strangeness though. More than once in the last 24 hours Malika has not gone outside, but rather inside on the way back to the home! I've started following the guidelines in "Before and After You Get Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dont think it's very nice to have the dog pee on concrete. It will smell and it's just not sanitary for other people in the apt. There is no other patch of grass anywhere? It could just be a strip of grass on the sidewalk or curbs for landscaping. Grass or dirt.

Ian Dunbar's potty training guide is pretty good. I dont like his other stuff but I used his potty training methods and schedule and it worked out well.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

There isn't dirt...there's trees with metal grates over the dirt that are about the same distance. I guess I thought a block away was good enough, but it's been a problem. She doesn't even want to walk now! I'm patient and serious about fixing the problem. Any pointers? Get her hungry for treats? She seems uninspired and I'm super concerned. Ugh.

Edit to say that I'm not going to shower her with attention, but I do want to see that puppy exuberance/willingness. She'll be 11 weeks tomorrow.

Last edited by Malika; 01-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

When I got Dolly at 9 weeks I immediately crate trained her and started on potty training. I, then, would carry her directly from the crate to her "pee" spot and set her down until she went. It took a good week of this until she got the idea. I continued to carry her for a few weeks since her bladder was undeveloped (as are all young puppy's) and couldn't physically hold it and walk when she was about to bust. She, now being 1 year now, refuses to go anywhere except the said spot which is nice except when out of town. I used the word "go to the bathroom" when I set her down each time as a puppy. She knows the command and reluctantly goes where commanded but is a struggle for her. I did give treats and praise when she went, but I don't think it is needed, more she just has to go and wants to go.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.