German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   A good book on training, or website (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/202882-good-book-training-website.html)

Ksalrunner 01-14-2013 03:38 AM

A good book on training, or website

Hi guys,
I just started looking into breeders, and in the meantime I wanted to start reading up on early training. Information on how to establish a proper pack order in the house, house training and early basic obedience.
Does anyone have a book or website they would recommend?

Thanks!

onyx'girl 01-14-2013 08:56 AM

My breeder recommended this book while I was waiting for my pup...I read it while I waited, then read it again! It may not address everything you need, but covers so much, and worth every penny.
Welcome to Dogwise.com

OffgridAlex 01-14-2013 09:04 AM

leerburg.com?

gsdraven 01-14-2013 09:06 AM

Big fan of Grisha Stewart's newest book:

Cassidy's Mom 01-14-2013 09:55 AM

Dogstar Daily free downloads - Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy: Free downloads | Dog Star Daily

Lots of good stuff on their Training Textbook page too: Dog Training Digital Textbook | Dog Star Daily

Gretchen 01-14-2013 10:39 AM

Not really training website but good resource for problems in the future.

Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community

PXDesign 01-14-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffgridAlex (Post 2732690)
leerburg.com?

Specifically the Michael Ellis videos. They have a new (re-shot) version of the "Training Dogs with Food" video and it's really good. Much better than the old one and it really goes into the "why's" of his method.

Lauri & The Gang 01-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksalrunner (Post 2731714)
Hi guys,
I just started looking into breeders, and in the meantime I wanted to start reading up on early training. Information on how to establish a proper pack order in the house, house training and early basic obedience.
Does anyone have a book or website they would recommend?

It's great that you want to start learning!!

First I would recommend you toss out the whole "pack order" baloney. People are not dogs and dogs are not people. People cannot be part of a dog pack. We do not have the abilities to communicate the way dogs do. We can't curl our lips, we can't raise the hair on our backs (not that I HAVE any hair on my back :) ), we can't move our ears and we can't possibly convey the amount of information dogs do with just their eyes.

I would think in terms of having an obedient dog - period.

Having said that, I highly recommend Suzanne Clothier's book "Bones Would Rain From the Sky".

Also, read all the articles on her website: Suzanne Clothier | Relationship Centered Dog Training