teaching come, no bite and no dig.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default teaching come, no bite and no dig....

Oh wow i am going threw all of these right now and i feel like a broken record..LOL Saber is now 9.5wks old we are doing alright on potty training, no mess in the house for 4 days now, night time a whine a bit but then off to sleep...BUT when i let him outside to potty he goes then he wants to wander around but he is only looking for trouble (THE DIRT) so i am trying to teach come, either from outside or into the room away from my 10yr olds food and water so on, i treat him when he does which is hardley NEVER...whats the easiest way for this...

And digging, he found a nice spot and loves it!!! my older GS did it as a pup but it was short lived but he just stopped, this one is stubborn..

And chewing, i always re-direct him when he finds the table leg, carpet, my foot, leg, toe, finger anything he wants to grab, i say no bite and i give him a hoof or his antler he will chew on them but then he finds his way back to the table leg...any advice??
scnj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

More toys! You can't have enough. If you can get through the living room and dining room without tripping on, or stepping over a toy, you don't have enough.

The only thing Lisl has tried her teeth out on that wasn't one of her toys, is one of the rockers on my rocking chair because I didn't have any toys in that room.

When I'm putting my boots on in the morning, she's in there keeping me company and is usually chasing my shoelaces as I try and lace up my boots. I don't mind though because it allows us to interact with one another even though we are not (I'm not) really playing. This is when she has grabbed one of the rockers.

I tell her NO! loudly and that's the end of it. I have all sorts of interesting things to a dog in my house. I run a recording studio part-time and there are cables running everywhere, little metal boxes on the floor, microphone stand legs, auto-locator legs, guitar stands, etc, but she has never even approached any of those items.

She knows what's hers and she can see toys for as far as she can see in my house.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

You are right you can never have enough toys. We have enough still and actually rotate Kaylee's toys, lol. The digging is grub related she has this beatle mania thing going on and it is her favorite snack... When we are out in the back yard I like to keep her busy with games.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have to keep Lisl from digging up the nuts that the squirrels buried last year in the back yard. I swear she's found just about every one. I don't know if she smells the squirrels or the nuts.

I have to keep her mind on going potty and keep her out of those areas until she goes.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I have to keep Lisl from digging up the nuts that the squirrels buried last year in the back yard. I swear she's found just about every one. I don't know if she smells the squirrels or the nuts.

I have to keep her mind on going potty and keep her out of those areas until she goes.
Probably both that nose is amazing!
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Toys, toys, and more toys. I think we could've started our own pet store during Land Shark phase with all the toys we had.

As for 'come', I worked Finn on a long lead. I started off by calling him and giving the lead a gentle tug. When he came back, lots of treats and praise. I made myself more interesting than what he was interested in. It took a few weeks, but we got a consistent recall on lead and we slowly worked up to off lead.

Finn isn't a digger, but if he's nosing around in something we'd rather him not, we trained 'leave it'. Once again, it was just making myself more interesting than whatever he was in.

Congrats on the new puppy and enjoy him!

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, i am so insane here...LOL he has alot of toys, hoofs, antler but i will get more...another thng i have issues with is acting like a fool when getting his food ready in the morning, he wants to jump all around and act like an insane man...LOL
scnj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.